Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Why do I blog?

I've been a blogger for a while now. Well, not really THAT long. It's been about 3 years. I started out on Myspace (yes, I do think I'm 18). It started out public, and then I HAD to be friends with someone on Myspace (ya know, family politics and all), and then I set up a preferred list that only specific people could read my blog. So the number of people that read it was specifically limited to those who were my friends on Myspace that I allowed to read. Have I told you that I'm passive aggressive? Hey, at least I'm honest.

And now I'm here and back to being public. For now.

I think the appeal for me to blogging is that I don't like to blather on too much about my thoughts or problems in person. If you ask, I'll tell you. But most people really don't ask how you're doing. Yeah, they'll ask in passing, but the socially acceptable response is, "Fine" or "Good." The socially appropriate response is NOT one of my blogs about my trip to the doctor's office and what a butt the doctor was and how ridiculous I looked carrying all of Julia's stuff.

Another reason I like blogging is that people don't have to read. They can read if they want. I'm not holding a gun to your head. If you don't want to, that's cool with me.

A third reason is that I like to have a timeline to go back to. I have a decent memory, yet having more context is helpful. When I go back and catch up with Miss J's baby book (ummm, okay, after maternity leave it hasn't been filled in), I'll have a pretty accurate timeline for teeth & milestones.

It amazes me how many people do read my blog. A few weeks ago when I checked the stats, it was amazing how many repeat visitors from all over the world there were. So, people from Canada and South Africa who I don't know, SHOUT OUT! I don't get the appeal. I'm a cruddy writer, my blog mainly focuses on getting a toddler to eat (yawn!), and I recite long-winded doctor visits. Isn't Maury Povich more appealing???

I do appreciate the visits despite the lack of appeal. When Miss J gets on some semblance of a growth curve, I'm sure I'll blather about something else more often. Oh yeah, then it will get REALLY interesting! :)

5 random facts about me - I encourage all other bloggers to do the same!

- I have a visceral reaction to Enya's music. Can't. Stand. Enya. Or country music. Must. Change. Station. Immediately.

- I want to go to a Price Is Right taping before I die. Am perpetually working on a crazy shirt idea to get me out of the audience.

- From a recent blog entry, I don't like receiving post-it notes plastered on things from other people, particularly ones I live with. This now also goes for handouts that appear in Julia's daycare bag. One was on how to stop hair pulling, and one was how to stop biting. If she's biting and pulling hair, can you TELL me instead of putting veiled parental advice in her bag? When my husband asked, they said every toddler got the hair pulling one. But of course the afternoon worker is different from the morning worker and couldn't answer the question, so who knows? Julia and I have yet to have that suggested sit down discussion of how to appropriately vent her frustration.

- My favorite season is fall.

- I heart my sno cone machine.

3 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

I almost missed this blog!
I heart Beth's blogs...

Please don't stop blogging. I would be lost. :0)

Ann said...

Are there actually people who know how to get a toddler to stop pulling hair, biting, hitting, kicking, throwing their shoes at mommy, pulling the skin off of mommy's owies? Who are these people? Where do they live? I need this info!!!

B said...

LA, you're sweet!

Ann, so it isn't just me thinking that it's nearly impossible to have a rational discussion with a toddler? :)