Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Girls of Summer

I’ve been so cranky and miserable that it’s not worth posting a whiny “It’s hotttttttttttttttt” blog entry. But for the record, it is indeed very hot, and we don’t have air conditioning. Perhaps I could survive a 5-day heatwave better if it hadn’t been 80 degrees for the past few months. But to have 80 degrees for a few months, with no rain, and then mid-90s to 100 degrees with little relief in sight, I kind of see some justification to my whining.



Anyway, I will try not to whine too much. I don’t think I’ve whined about the heat that much for the past several months. While I don’t like 80 degrees, I can tolerate it. If the indoor temperature of our house is 70 at night and 80-82 during the day, I won’t even whine much or even at all. After all, it’s summer. When the indoor temperature exceeds 90 degrees during the day and doesn’t go any lower than 82 at night, it’s unbearable. Particularly with a toddler that doesn’t drink much. I already worry enough about her. Don’t make me worry that she has some serious dehydration issues in this excrutiatingly hot house.



Not much is going on. It seems like everyone is literally lying low around here. The in-laws will be back on Saturday. It’s good that they’ll watch Julia next week. After utter crankiness and sleeping on the floor for the past several days, I’m not sure how long I can fake a good disposition when the “wet your whistle” comments and deafening TV volumes start back up. Julia was actually eating solids for them. That’s more than I can say that she’s done for me recently. So I’ll take the extra help and try really hard to have a good disposition despite being hot and miserable.



Julia had a BLAST playing with the sprinkler last night. The girl loves her liquids outside her body instead of inside her body, that’s my theory. There was plenty of playing and smiling to be had by her. At the end of her playing, her teeth were chattering due to all the cold water. Eh, within a few minutes of being inside her body was boiling again.



Oh, and for the record, we weren’t watering the grass for any altruistic reason toward the grass. The thought was that if we sprayed lots of water into the air, it would cool off the air that was coming into the house. Not sure how much that worked, but at least Julia got some entertainment out of it.

No comments: