Thursday, July 2, 2009

Jules

I guess I didn't foresee all the side effects of naming Julia. Most notably is the nickname of Jules. I despise the nickname. I never even knew it was a nickname for Julie/Julia until my early 20s. I didn't know many people with the name, and if I did, I called them by their name. After all, it's not a horribly long name. If it was Sassafrass, I can see shortening to Sassy. My name approaches long, and I don't mind it being shortened at all. My problem is when it mutates to Elizabeth because people think Beth is short for Elizabeth.

People can call Julia whatever they want. I do start twitching when I hear people calling her Jules - it's an involuntary response that will hopefully go away by the time she starts school.

Please, Julia, pick another nickname besides Jules. If you really, really want to be called that, I'll do it. But I'll take a whole multitude of other nicknames a lot easier. How about Lia? That's cute. Or Emmy. Or Ceci. Or Jeg. Or Princess Button Pants. Or JuJuBe. Or Jelly Belly Pumpkinhead. I'm not opposed to long nicknames. We can stick with Miss J, but I've been trying to curb it after the whole Kindercare experience. I've been substituting Punkin for Miss J most recently when I talk to her.

Even with the hideous Jules nickname, I don't have any naming regrets. Every name is going to have something wrong with it. And it did take a whole year before someone pulled the Jules nickname out. It wasn't like people called her that from Day 1.

5 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

What about JGo ;0)

Scrapping in Circles said...

I'm a big pusher of schools using a child's full name. My kids have nicknames (tons of them), but I always make sure (even when they were in preschool) that they were called by their real name and learned to write and find it. I even had a teacher try to convince me that Sister's name was too long to use for Kindergarten even though she could write it already. What??? Anyway, just always use her full name and you wont have to worry about the nicknames.

Wendy said...

I think "Miss J." or "J" for short is great!

I don't think you can come up with many nicknames for Mischa, thank goodness. I named her after Hannibal Lecter's sister, so once the word gets out, people will know better than to mess with her name. I love intimidation...

Leigh Ann said...

Wendy, I read that book! Love the name :0)

The only nicknames I've ever wondered if they will come up are Dubya or Dub. It won't come from me though! lol We do call him WWL sometimes though. Maybe he'll be a wrestler someday... HAH!
And I knew I would hear it a thousand times(and I have heard it a thousand times already)...."is that after Waylon Jennings?" NO, it's not! We just liked the name. Oh well, I knew I would hear it when I named him that.. :0)

B said...

LA, JGo does have a ring to it! I like Way as a nickname for Mr. Waylon.

Wendy, that is a very neat origination. The only other Mischa I had heard of is Mischa Barton. And you just didn't seem the type to name your child after a cast member on the OC. :)

Nicole, I'm very much a fan of full names too.