Friday, July 24, 2009

The advantage of not tending to your yard

Believe it or not, there's more than the advantages of saving time and money when you don't take care of your yard. When your neighbors go on vacation for 2 weeks, they don't ask you to take care of their yard in their absence. I mean, why would they ask the people whose only form of lawn maintenance is mowing the weeds every 3 weeks? That would be stupid unless you want to kill every living thing in your yard.

Why not ask the saps across the street who actually take care of their yard to tend to your yard while you're away?

I come home today and see the neighbors from across the street tending to next door's yard.

I'm soooo glad I wasn't asked. Who really wants to spend the evening in the heat watering the neighbor's lawn and pulling their weeds? Yes, the neighbors across the street were even pulling my neighbor's weeds! I personally would only feel responsible for the weeds that occurred during my yardsitting, and I know those weeds they pulled had been around far longer than a week. That's called going above and beyond.

Yep, so glad no one would even think of asking me to do lawn maintenance in their absence.

I have my skills. I'll bake you cookies. I'll balance your checkbook. I'll alphabetize your DVD collection. I'll give you real estate or financial planning advice. I'll attempt to help you to get your kid to eat more. But please don't make me tend to your yard when I don't have the gumption to even tend to my own.

3 comments:

Ryan, Corrie, Max, and Jack said...

Ha ha ha ha ha! I never thought of it that way!!! I've heard of using that technique while doing... or not doing... dishes. And maybe some cleaning. =)

you crack me up, you really do!

April said...

"yardsitting" oh my GOSH! That is so retarded. I hate suburban living. Talk about keeping up with the Jones'! We are renting in a nice little neighborhood in town. You can actually get fined for having a yard that is not kept well. It's so stupid.

B said...

Corrie, smile!

April, we can get fines too. If they threaten us, I'll say ours is organic. :)