Monday, July 27, 2009

Somewhere between granny panties and a thong

Since I was a teenager, I've tried to pay no more than $1 for a pair of underwear. And for the better part of 15 years, that's what I paid. Until now.

I've found myself surrounded by horrid pairs of underwear that I would be so embarrassed to be caught wearing when I am run over by that bus. And I can't find a pair of underwear for $1 or less.

I know you're already laughing about the $1 for a pair of underwear. That's indeed how I roll.

Like my affinity for the grocery outlet has worn off, so has my hope that I can stay within my $1 for a pair of underwear budget. Not only do I think inflation has creeped up past $1 a pair, so has my underwear likes.

The goal is to buy multiple pairs of black, cotton, bikini underwear in my size (can wear medium, large or extra large- I don't get it, but whatever). I would add the $1 criteriaithere, but I've decided to throw that criteria out the window.

So today I went shopping for black, cotton, bikini underwear in my size. It was an exercise in futility.

First of all, what in the heck are hipkini (kinda like bikini but covers more???) and hipster and boy shorts? I found a $3 rack at Target, but it was full of these inferior underwear cuts.

Then I go to those packaged ones - Hanes, Fruit of the Loom, etc. They all have those weird underwear cuts too and then the dreaded briefs (i.e., granny panties). I can't find an all black package to save my life. There might be a token black one in there along with a nude color (who likes that color? Someone must buy it, but I really don't think it flatters most people), a gray, and a white. Not only are bikini packages are slim pickins, but there's no packages of just black underwear.

On the hanging racks there are some black ones, but they aren't bikini cut (they're either granny panties or thongs, seems like there's no in between), or they aren't cotton.

Then I went to Sears. Same problem. Then I gave up on the underwear search.

Please, underwear manufacturers, make some black bikini cotton underwear. I didn't think I was asking for a lot, but apparently I was. And if you're really feeling generous, can you put 3-5 of the black pairs in the same package??

4 comments:

Scrapping in Circles said...

The nude color is good under lighter colored clothing when black would show through. (=

Karin said...

yep - i find the nude ones important for the same reason. they are not flattering by themselves, but for the entire ensemble it works.

Leigh Ann said...

Yep yep yep....I was gonna say the same exact thing Scrapping and Karin said! I like the nudie ones cause sometimes if I wear light colored(or white) scrubs, I need light undies. I don't think I even own black panties!

B said...

Apparently I'm the only one who doesn't wear nude underwear. The color goes horribly with my skin.

I tend to not wear light colored pants or skirts, except for the occasional pair of khaki pants or shorts. And I guess those are thick enough you don't have to worry about the color of your undies.

Who knew? I'm learning so much about you all!