Friday, July 2, 2010

Her something blue

Julia had her 2 year appointment this week. 23 lbs and some change, which is really good. I had hoped for 23 pounds at 2 years, and she exceeded it. Well, she probably met it but her appt was 4 weeks after she turned 2. I gave her some extra time to get there!

They did a number of blood tests on her. I was nervous, really nervous. Remember my purely awful food allergy tests? At the same time they did all those allergy tests, they also did comprehensive bloodwork/thyroid/vitamin tests. I am tired. All. The. Time. It turned out I am deficient in a LOT of things. Pretty much everything that you can be deficient in without being checked into a hospital. As the doctor explained it to me, my body has an adverse reaction to gluten/dairy/nuts (which I eat a ton of), and that in turn screws up my digestive system & my intestines get so irritated & inflamed that I can't absorb any of the nutrition in the food I eat.

Hmmmm, I suppose that's a good reason to stick to non-allergenic foods.

Anyway, I was nervous that Julia would be the same way. Yay, all of the tests came back normal so far! The only one they didn't get back was Vitamin D, but I'm not too worried since she takes a vitamin D multivitamin. Woot! Woot!

In other Julia news this week, we found a castle bed and transferred her from her crib to a toddler bed. I was expecting all sorts of trauma (for her and us) because of people's reactions. Thus far, it's been a really easy transition. Now the pacifier...that will suck. Big time. We're not there yet, but when it happens, we might as well run away and join the circus because we will go insane with the screaming/tantrums.

Please don't say the pacifier removal won't be bad. I know my kid. It will be traumatic. Each kid is different, and I got the one that did the crib-to-bed transition fantastic, but the pacifier thing will take years. In fact, it might be the something blue when she gets married. I'll tuck a blue paci in her garter belt.

I went out this evening, and there was gloppy rain. Being in Seattle, there's about 82 words to describe the gradations of rain. From spitting (two drops on your face every minute or so) to torrential downpour. Tonight it was GLOPPY!

No comments: