Wednesday, July 21, 2010

I'm not so wise anymore - repost 9/13/2007

All my wisdom teeth are out now. And so, you ask, how did it go?

Given all the horror stories you have been so kind to tell me about before I went in, I think I'm doing fabulous. I initially got very scared when everything in the surgery room was covered in garbage bags & they put a head-to-toe covering on me. Seriously, how much blood spatter were they expecting? Was it going to be Texas Chainsaw Massacre III or something? That was disconcerting, and so was being hooked up to the blood pressure monitor and pulse monitor before they put me out. How many fatalities have they had, anyway?

When I wake up, I'm on the recovery couch. Last time I had this done (5 years ago), this is where I caused major drama. At the time, I made a beeline for the front door when I woke up & this caused the nurses to freak out. Apparently most patients just lay there for an hour or more, sleeping off the drugs.

This time I yet again pissed off the nurses. I woke up, and I was walking down the hall to the lobby. "Where are you going? You can't leave until you can walk by yourself!" One sternly lectures me. Ummm, isn't that what I'm doing? I'm walking...not stumbling or clutching the wall....walking in a straight line. She made me lay back down and thankfully got S. He came back there with me as I made tons of eye rolls toward the idiotic nurses who made me sit there for another half hour. Yes, I apparently pissed off the nurses.

I got some prescriptions for pain killers and antibiotics from the doctor, but I didn't get them filled because I was feeling just fine. We finally arrived home just in time for Ellen (even a bedridden girl has her priorities). After Ellen, I fell asleep for a couple of hours. I woke up, and S was asleep next to me. So I went back to sleep. We woke up at around 3pm, and I was voracious. I ate a smoothie, about 12 ounces of salmon, veggies, 3 sundaes and two juice bars. Then S and I took a mile walk.

The only bad part of the day is that I felt good enough to challenge S to a game marathon. And I lost. So I'm out $100 for that.

As pain goes, I feel "t" is for "terrific." No pain at all. I know I'm probably one of the lucky ones. Tomorrow I may change my tune, but for now I feel really, really good.

Have a lovely weekend, all. I've convinced Stephan that we need to paint our living room this weekend. And a friend is coming to visit tomorrow. That will keep us busy for the next few days. Yeah, and I'm "recovering" still. I get to use that excuse for a few more days.

Enjoy the weekend! Feel free to come visit and paint with us. :)

No comments: