Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Solitude

I enjoy solitude. There's something comforting about being by myself and letting my mind drift to wherever I let it. I suppose the solitude was always the big lure of summer vacations to me; my mom would be at work all day, and I was usually home alone. So many hours to daydream, read, listen to music, play video games, take walks around the neighborhood. At least that was what my summer vacations consisted of B.B. (Before Boys).

Most people I know go stir crazy after being alone too long. It almost seems like a day or two of being alone is too much for them. I guess I don't identify with that. It would probably take me 1-2 solid weeks of being alone before I would call or visit someone. If I wasn't married, I'd probably be one of those people who was discovered dead in her house a year after she actually died. The concept of being that person doesn't even disturb me, and I know it should.

In theory, I know that I will have lots of solitude after I die, and I should surround myself with people until then. It's just so hard to do in practice though.

1 comment:

Marie Tere said...

I LOVE solitude too. But hard to get, so the alternative, I love a busy house :)