Monday, July 19, 2010

All Hail the Hoodie

Last night I put on my favorite dark green hoodie and went for a walk. I walk a lot; that's not unusual. But I don't wear hoodies that much. It reminds me of a much different time when I was 16 years old. Last night didn't really feel like summer. It hit maybe the low 60s as a high, and last night it was definitely in the 50s. Hence, more clothing was required for my walk.

I love hoodies. I think they are the world's most perfect clothing item. They are warm, in a drizzle you have easy access to a hood. They can hide almost any body issue. There's that perfect pocket for your keys, phone, iPod, or you can merely use it to keep your hands warm. I have several that zip, but I've always preferred the sweatshirt kind. I loved sitting down and leaning against something, putting my knees up, and putting my hoodie over my knees. Why can't it be acceptable to wear jeans and a hoodie to work? Even better would be to put my hair in a ponytail with a pen. I loved going to community college on days I didn't have to work afterward with that exact outfit.

I had a really nice walk. I got off the main streets and went into the neighborhood without street lights. Yeah yeah yeah, it's probably not safe. But if I've lived this long and been through all that I've been through, I can't be afraid of a few dark streets at midnight. Seriously. It's the people you know that are typically more dangerous than the strangers out at midnight. Anyway, without the ambient streetlights and with the aid of a clear night, I could see so many stars. What a rare treat to not only see the bigger constellations but to also see the lesser known ones. Hundreds of stars, and I felt like I could touch them. What a pretty night. It was fairly cool, though, and you wouldn't know it was summer just by being outside. It could easily have been a late spring or early fall night.

When I take this walks at night, I feel so much like I did when I was 16. In many ways, I don't feel like I've changed much. I think about the same things I did then, I'm just as confused now as I was then. It almost feels like I'm playing house when I go back to my house, my husband, and my daughter because on these walks I feel like I'm back to being the kid I used to be. Or maybe I was never a kid at 16, and I was more grown up/mature. Or maybe I'm an immature 32. Who knows.

Back when I was younger, I'd take midnight walks too. I loved to sneak out. There was always something thrilling about sneaking out and the potential of getting caught and the potential of what the night could bring.

I definitely need some hoodies in my fall wardrobe.

No comments: