Thursday, July 15, 2010

A few projects

A day off is nice, really nice. A real homebody at heart, I am the happiest putzing around the house, listening to music, and lying around. I'm a simple girl to please.

I've been working on a couple of projects lately. First off, I've been wanting to revamp my blog for a while now. I finally set aside some time to dedicate to that. Every year or so I seem to have a blogging existential crisis. Do I want to keep doing this? Why do I keep doing it? Where am I going with it? This current existential crisis was about being more honest with myself and trying to disclose more. Suffice it to say, those who regularly read my blog know me a variety of different ways. In normal everyday types of conversations, I'm not apt to tell you a whole lot about myself. It's just not how I am. Can you believe I worked with someone for a year who wanted to set me up on a blind date? I told her that was kind, but I was already married. See, I kind of think something like this tells you something about yourself. Perhaps I should share more. (Or maybe the other person is completely clueless and in her own world all the time.) The whole disclosing more thing is something I constantly debate about in my head. If people don't ask, then why share? At least that's my policy in verbal communications. But since I don't twist anyone's arm to read this, then I don't feel so bad about actually talking about the things I'm thinking and feeling.

My second big project is working on my books to Julia. I have filled two journal books of my letters (i.e., think diary entries) to her. I started these before she was born, and it's a gift I'm going to give her at some point. I thought it was a way that she could learn about me & she'll always have it to keep. Well, I need to finish those letters. At least to the best of my ability, and then I can add later if needed.

My third (smaller) project is going through a huge bin of mementos that I have. It's a lot of old high school and college letters. Do you think that this new generation of teenagers still writes by hand to each other? There's so much to take away from a physical letter in your hand - the penmanship, the deliberateness, the type of paper, the smell of the paper. Yes, I'm that wacko that sniffs paper. I kept all of these letters and mementos for all of these years, and I need to organize it all in some way. The majority are letters and cards (by the way, I'm not a fan of cards where people just sign their name...copout). There are a few printed out e-mails circa 1996-1997 or typewritten letters, but most are indeed letters written out in longhand. I want to savor them all, and then I want to come up with some system to organize it all. A full 18 gallon Rubbermaid container probably isn't the best way. Do I sort by friendship letters/old boyfriends/other clippings? Do I give each guy his own box within the tote (S has his own box already, but what about the others)? What do I do with all of the passive aggressive letters from my mother?

See, my mind is busy with trying to make sense of old things and focusing on a way to continue forward.

Am going to try to sneak in a little nap before hubby and Miss J get home!

1 comment:

Ann said...

Oh, I have a "Letters to Sophie" book. Of course I am way behind on it. Kind of like her baby book.