Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Holiday letter - repost 12/11/2007

I usually do a holiday letter inside holiday cards. This year…well…the one year we actually have something substantial to say & it's not really coming together. So I decided to scrap the holiday letter idea this year after my first draft didn't pass muster. Most people know S graduated and we're having a baby. For those that we hadn't already told, I thought it might be better to handwrite the news inside the card.

But, alas, I can't go completely without writing a letter so here is my first draft, for only my MySpace friends because S would probably kill me.

--

Dear Friends and Family,
Another year has come and gone at breakneck speed. My narrative ability has escaped me, and I blame my pregnant brain for not remembering January through April. There were a few celebrations in there; I know I connived a few free meals from my husband for being born in January and marrying him in March. And I'm sure he connived a free meal from me in April for being born. We probably celebrated St. Valentine (aka the Hallmark holiday), but I can't seem to remember how.

I do remember May because I went to Florida to see Rachel. Seeing where Anna Nicole died and seeing alligators practically chowing down on hogs right in front of me were both memorable. June was kind of cool because S graduated. We traveled down to the lovely Evergreen State College campus and saw him graduate with his Master's degree through the haze of marijuana smoke. Our two nephews, ages 12 and 9, came to visit from Guam for a week. Corrupting young minds became a new hobby of mine. Seeing S's mom staying up til 1am playing the Wii made me think I do a good job of corrupting older minds too.

I believe I slept through July and August. Got pregnant in September, so I guess I didn't sleep through all of September. S started tae kwon do, and he has gotten to purple belt so far. I presume watching him take his lessons is practice for watching a child do sports. But I must say that tae kwon do is one stinky sport. The place reeks with all those sweaty people with feet of varying degrees of cleanliness.

October through now has been full of obsessing about what to do once the child comes out. And me losing valuable possessions. And me moaning ten times a day, "I'm fat." Then S saying, "You're not fat. You're pregnant." Fat, pregnant, same difference at this point.

Other notable events:
- The annual debate over whether to put white lights or multi-colored lights on the Christmas tree
- 3am Black Friday shopping…I swear, it should be a holiday of its own.
- Seeing Treach's beautiful body in person
- Hosting murder mysteries!!
- Having a camera with an IEP and buying a camera with an even bigger IEP that they won't take back. We hate Sony!
- Coming to the conclusion that roundabout etiquette needs to be part of the Washington State driver's ed curriculum

We hope you have a wonderful holiday season, and we wish you health and merriment in 2008.

Love,
Beth and S (although S has not authorized this letter)

P.S. At least I didn't add my neverending search for Snoop Dogg's "Gin 'n Juice" in a lullaby format. It has a great melody! Maybe the lyrics aren't kid-appropriate (which is why I don't want a version with lyrics), but the melody is awesome.

No comments: