Monday, July 5, 2010

What I'm not going to be when I grow up

Do you remember watching fireworks as a kid? Like driving to a park, gathering with people and waiting for the fireworks? If I was spending the Fourth with my mom, I got to watch fireworks on TV. She was just that kind of person. If I was with my dad, we went to the biggest celebration in the city. He wasn't the type to pre-plan, so we didn't have lawn chairs/blankets/food/water, but gosh darn it - we saw a great firework display.

In college, I would walk with my friends to the local city display. It was a town of 50,000ish, so the display was never that great (small budget), but it was fun to hang out with friends and see where the night took you.

As adults, S and I are fairly boring. He doesn't like being around fireworks that much, neither do I, and we both don't like crowds. Therefore, it's a lot of firework watching on TV. One time we viewed the city display from across the water. There weren't too many people around, so that was nice. One time we watched from the top of our roof. One time we watched from a comfy restaurant. Tonight was the epitome of laziness. We watched the fireworks outside from bed. I love this house because of the view of the water and skyline. We just sat on the bed and watched the fireworks. We opened the window a tad so we could hear some of the noises that went along with them. Cheap, lazy entertainment, I'm all for it.

I'm ready to go back to work. My achievement over my week off was reading 10 books. My anti-achievements: screwing up my sleep schedule (oh, who am I kidding? I never had one to begin with.), screwing up Julia's sleep schedule, getting sick of the in-laws, and eating way too much. I would add that one achievement would be transitioning Julia from her crib to a toddler bed, but as I said, that wasn't difficult at all; therefore, I can't claim that achievement.

I could never be a stay-at-home mother. We got up at 9am-ish every day. By the time I got her and me ready & attempted breakfast (Julia doesn't eat much), it's 10am-ish. With the in-laws here and S at work, we did this weird dance where if I stayed here, they would leave. Or if I left, they would stay at home. One of the days they took Julia out while I stayed at home. Morning activity was a playdate, storytime, the park, or there was that day when they took her out. If I took her out or had a playdate, I was wiped out and tried to get her lunch and then put her to bed. I mean, put US to bed. Yeah yeah yeah, I got up at 9am and was ready for a nap by 12:30 or 1pm (oh yeah, her noon naptime has been all screwed up too since I was on vacation). We nap until 3pm-ish, then get up and try to feed her snack once she's fully awake...then guess what, Daddy's home at a little after 4pm. He asks us what we did all day (since he left the house at 6:30am), and all I have to show for myself is sleep - morning ritual - morning activity (this is my time to shine: storytime!) - nap. How freaking pathetic.

You are probably wondering how I hold down a job. I will say this to my dying day: I am actually PRODUCTIVE at work. This stay-at-home mom thing: not so much. With all of the sleeping, it's hard to fit in any chores or actual productivity. I'm not sure why I get so exhausted with a toddler, but I do. Or maybe because it's that I blog at 4am when I should be sleeping.

Hmm...there may be something to that.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I am the same way....super productive and structured at work....not so much at home.

Melissa said...
This comment has been removed by the author.