Saturday, August 8, 2009

My Occupation: Parking Lot Watcher

I often tell people my occupation is parking lot watcher. While it's not technically true, I take great joy in the job of being the parking lot watcher.

Did I ever say that I had a major in psychology and a minor in sociology? Observing people fascinates me. There is so much you can learn about people without interacting with them. The type of car they drive, the way they walk, the people they choose to interact with with, who they go to lunch with, how many times they leave the building during the day, what's in their car, seeing if they arrive to work on time, where they park, etc.

For everyone who parks in my line of sight, I have a rough psychological profile of. Do I sound creepy? Yeah, I'm kind of creepy. S tells me I'd be a great FBI profiler. And I probably would be. But I think the FBI makes you pass physical tests. Sit-ups and shooting tests do not appeal to me. Hence, my life of a desk job with a side job as a parking lot watcher.

I'd probably also make a good businessperson. Gosh, I can be ruthless. If I had more ambition, Sam Walton would have some major competition. I often think of people from my work who I'd take with me if I started my own business. There are some good people there. I wouldn't take too many people. Maybe 10 people or so. While I'm doing monotonous work activities, I keep refining my list of people I'd take and where I'd put them. Like there's a person I know who reads this blog that I'd put in HR. She'd be awesome in HR. Now if I could come up with what business I'd open and a business plan.... Plus I'd have to entice the good people to come with me. Money. Cold hard cash makes the world go round.

My in-laws asked S what I do this week. I suppose for the past 9 years they haven't cared to know. What's even more pathetic is that they only asked S last year what he did. Kinda funny, huh? At least I'm amused by it. Maybe it's because his brother is a police officer and his sister works for an airline. Maybe those jobs are easier to understand. S and I don't have jobs that can be as easily understood.

I kinda wish he would have told them parking lot watcher and bathroom air freshener sniffer outter. :)