Thursday, August 27, 2009

Icky Week

Long time no blog.  It's been a cruddy week for all of us.  Sick, lots of doctor appointments to go around, lots of mucus, lots of coughing/wheezing, need I say more?  Julia's ickies are starting to really interfere with her liquid intake, which doubly sucks.
 
When you're having a cruddy week, the smallest things that go wrong start to push you over the edge.  At least that's how it goes with me.  Some days a padded room really does sound blissful.  I could sleep, no one is screaming in my ear for any number of reasons, and my food would get delivered.  I can handle that.  If I got my own padded room, I wouldn't have to associate with any of the other nutjobs.  The next book I am reading is about a person who infiltrated several mental health facilities and the person's observations.  Maybe I should sign up for that job.  Sounds interesting.
 
Here is what Julia ate in the way of solids on Wednesday.  I told Leigh Ann I'd write it down after I saw Waylon's big ol' plate of food that he usually scarfs down.  Now I really think Julia doesn't eat a lot.  Maybe she does, and I'm just delusional.
 
Breakfast: 2 little pieces of hot dog
Snack: Biscuit with jam - refused
Daycare tried an hour later with snack (bless them!): 1/2 hotdog (75 cal)
Lunch: tablespoon mixed fruit (25 cal), tablespoon mixed veggies (15 cal), 2 ounces of mac & cheese (60 cal) 
Snack at doctor's: 3 Teddy grahams & 2 goldfish (20 cal)
Dinner: 1/2 fruit bar (70 cal), few bites of pizza (30 cal?)
Second dinner:  1 grape, 1 oz Gerber meal (1/6 of a container, 25 cal)
 
Actually, this was an AWESOME solids day for her!  She got to about 300 calories.  She ate 13 oz of formula (400 cal) and 4 oz of her vitamin juice + half & half (80 cal).  So for the day she might have taken in about 800 calories total. 
 

4 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

So sorry you've had a rough, icky week. I did notice you had been quiet :(
I wonder if you left off some of that liquid if she would eat more solids? Maybe she's getting full on liquids?? I don't know, I'm taking stabs in the dark here. I certainly haven't had as much professional advice as you have!! At any rate, I think you are doing a super job at keeping up with what she eats. It truly shows how much you care! She'll catch up one day. I just know she will....

Scrapping in Circles said...

Being sick is bad. Your kids being sick is worse. I'm sorry it's been difficult. Will Miss J drink just water or Gatorade? I know they say when they are sick they want them to get lots of fluids. My little guy still prefers water to milk. My oldest wont drink any juice except a bit of Gatorade. None of my children have liked Pedialyte. Every kid is so different. Good luck!!!

Karin said...

hang in there bethy! so sorry you had an icky week. Seems like a lot of folks had a hard week, but it sounds like you got more than your share! :(
I hope the dr appts went well and that you guys have a relaxing weekend.

B said...

LA, yeah, I've been thinking perhaps I'm making her liquids too dense. Maybe if I start backing off the concentration, she'll eat more solids. I just have to have patience and wait the week or two it will take for her intake to noticeably increase. I get panicky if she has a really bad day and then go back to the safe (i.e., calorie dense liquid) route.

N, Julia will do juice and water quite well. In fact, she'd drink just those two if she had a choice. Not that she drinks a whole lot of ANYthing, but still...loves water and juice.

Thanks, Karin. You haven't had such a great few weeks yourself. We'll get over this hump soon! We HAVE to!