Monday, June 8, 2009

Vacation Inaction

We are so bad about taking vacations. Let's see... we've taken a honeymoon. And we've taken the trip to Arizona to see S's parents - oh, that was family obligation. There was that trip to Pittsburgh when my dad was on his deathbed - oh, that was also family obligation. There was San Diego - oh, that was for work & I was by myself. Um, um, yep, that's it, folks.

We have only taken 1 "vacation" as a couple in 9 years of marriage. We're just not "vacation" people. Sleeping in a strange bed in a strange city just doesn't do it for me. Unplug the phone and give me a week in my own house over a vacation any day.

The in-laws are coming for two weeks in July. This allows us an opportunity to get away without Miss J. So what should we do?

I contemplated a cruise. I've always wanted to take a cruise. All you can eat food and playing games? That's right up my alley!

We contemplated going to Skamania for a few days. What to do there? Not much, but there's a great fireplace...though, in July, I'm not sure how much we'd take advantage of that. There's not much else to do in Skamania except play golf. And you know what rockin' golfers we are. :) Hmmm...

I contemplated going to Portland for a few nights.

Jamaica anyone?

I have off on Wednesday. Maybe I'll spend the day seeing if we can get any last minute travel deals.

The best impetus to get out of the house is to know the in-laws will be staying with us for over two weeks. I wish I was kidding. Oh, S, I AM kidding! How could I not be enamored with watching Fox News all day, listening to the toilet flush all night long, listening to complaints about the Seattle weather and how much better it is in Arizona, how we fail as suburbanites for not owning a grill, how we fail as suburbanites for not tending to our yard better, and hearing the same exact stories for the 85th time--remember that time I was on TTY, Madeline, and S put a screwdriver in the roof of his mouth? Hey, at least they'll watch Miss J, and I can't say that about my own mom.

Therefore, take advantage of the babysitting and get the heck out of town!!!

Isn't there some website where people rent out their houses and such?

Help! I take vacation ideas.

5 comments:

Ash said...

Beth, go on a cruise. I went to Alaska in the first part of May. It was sooo much fun and sooo relaxing. You can leave out of seattle, and you get the same room for however long your on the cruise. You can do as little or as much as you want. There are AMAZING deals on right now though Holland (which we used), DO IT!!!!
Ash

B said...

Ash,

I really want to go on a cruise! I love the all-inclusive nature of it and you just stumble down to the deck for the activity of the day versus all the planning it takes to do it on your own. I did look into cruises, but they're all 7 days. I think I'd be okay with 2-3 days, but 7 days is a little long to be away from Miss J.

Marie Tere said...

Cannon Beach.

Ash said...

Some of the do three days, they might leave out of vancouver though. My neighbors do them at least once a year and they have twins.
Ash

Scrapping in Circles said...

There are lots of places you can rent a house. As a kid we would go to Kahneetah (spelling?)in Oregon. It was really neat. Nice weather, pool, and places to hike.