Tuesday, June 16, 2009

On Recent Events

It's 2:30am, and I still can't fall asleep. Blah! I went to bed extra early tonight at 8:30pm, and then Julia woke up at 11:30pm because her paci fell out of the crib. She doesn't wake up to eat anymore, but it's the end of the world if she needs her paci and it fell onto the floor. I think I went to bed way TOO early and my body thought I had a nap. I'm raring to go!

I probably shouldn't say anything, but I will anyway and then live to regret it. Because that's just how life goes. I know who Anonymous Commenter is. I'm not going to call her out in public because that's just mean. But I do know who it is.

What y'all may not know is that I made this blog public because I do believe in the freedom of information, and I don't mind meeting new people through this blog. I am a real person who goes through real struggles, and if someone perhaps stumbles upon me from various ways, and we develop a friendship, now that's kind of cool, huh? But I wanted to have some layer of protection in case anything got weird. And honestly there are a handful of people I don't want to read my blog, but I think there's enough ambiguity that those people won't just stumble upon me randomly.

So a few months ago, at April's suggestion (thanks, April), I put a behind-the-scenes log for this blog. It gives me the IP address of every hit, and it tells me what your IP address is, where it's from, etc. I haven't had the need to look at it, so I never did.

At first I thought Anonymous was a random person on the Internet. And that was completely cool with me because everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, and I can see why it's easy to interpret that I want my kid to have special attention. That's not what I wrote. I think the gist of what I wrote is that we struggle with the one-nap thing, but every daycare seems to do it, I just wish it wouldn't be expected to happen over a week. And I was pissed because she went so long without eating. And Kindercare is freaking creepy. Yes, adults who call kids their 'friends' - I think that's creepy. So sue me. Call me crazy, but do NOT call my friends crazy. After all, I know I'm crazy. My friends are infinitely saner than I; that's why I like 'em. They keep me grounded.

So when I logged in and matched the time of the Anonymous comment to the IP address, I wholeheartedly expected to see an IP address in Montana or something. But I saw it was good ol' local Washington State. In fact, a town about a block from me. There went the random commenter theory.

And so it's someone I know. Which of course is most puzzling. If you think I'm a whacko, then why not tell me that - delicately please - since you know me? I know I don't agree with all my friends on everything. Heck, I can't agree with my husband on everything! That's why I encourage a variety of opinions. We need to learn from each other. You can even tell me I'm looking at the situation in the wrong way in a comment with your name, and I won't delete you. I can't claim to be a liberal and tolerant without living it. That would be hypocrisy.

So I know who it is. And the two of us don't agree on certain issues, and we've voiced our disagreement in the past so I'm unclear as why she prefers to comment under a veil of secrecy. I respect her as a mother. I think she loves her kids and tries to raise them well.

You may think I think it's you. So as to clear up any confusion and keep the person anonymous (cuz, after all, that's how you want to remain), you were the one who gave Julia the cutest little Democrat shirt. See, I kept her name anonymous and the only two people who know that fact are her and me.

I'm not hurt. I thought she knew me enough to talk to me personally though. I can see how she was thinking that I was attacking her profession. I didn't mean to be, but I strike a balance on this blog - saying my real feelings vs. not trying to offend anyone. It's a hard balance sometimes.

If you want to talk with me personally about this, go right ahead, shirt giver. You know my e-mail, you have my phone number. I'm not upset with you. You have a lot going on in your life right now, and I'm here if you need me. But I think me contacting you right now might be a little odd because there's a big elephant in the room.

For everyone else, while checking the log for IP addresses can be quite compulsive, after I check one more time to make sure Anonymous read this, then I won't log back in unless something fishy comes up.

Peace out, homies! :)

8 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

I really really admire you Beth. You are a bigger person than so many others out there! :0)

April said...

you are welcome. I love my statcounter!

Scrapping in Circles said...

How do you put "a behind-the-scenes log" on your blog? That'd be neat to have.

Sorry about your issues with your "anonymous" person. I often have differing opinions than my friends and we frequently share them with each other. That's what makes life more fun. If people really feel their opinion is valid and truthful, they shouldn't remain anonymous, but you know those Democrats.(; Sorry, I couldn't resist the Democrat joke.

Leigh Ann said...

And Scrapping is a Republican too...I think I am crushing on her at the moment ;0)

B said...

Go ahead and crush, Leigh Ann!

Nicole, Anonymous is hard core Republican. I have nothing against my Republican friends.

B said...

But you can't blame Democrats for EVERYthing. Only some things. :)

Leigh Ann said...

hee hee

Scrapping in Circles said...

Oh, you can blame Demos for everything, it just isn't PC. (; I love all my Demo friends too. Especially since I'm surrounded by them!!!