Saturday, June 6, 2009

Camera Software

Each of our 3 digital cameras has come with different software. What I want is a piece of software that lets you view and change many aspects of the pictures you take. This of course includes simple cropping and red eye reduction. It also includes changing the pictures to black and white, sepia, changing the saturation, etc.

Of our Olympus (2004), Sony (2007) and Canon (2009), which has the best software? Yep, Olympus. The Sony software is absolutely useless. You can crop and rotate pictures; that's about it. The Canon software isn't quite as restrictive, but you still can't do a whole lot. I'm frustrated that you can't change a picture to black and white or sepia. You can do it before you take the picture. I don't know about you, but I'd prefer to take a picture in color and then change it later using software. With my luck, I'd forget to take the setting off and then have black and white pictures when I want color pictures.

I really like the Olympus software. It gives you the most options and is easy to work with. It's not quite Photoshop, but it's pretty darn close. I suppose I can still use the Olympus software with the Canon images, just like I did with the Sony images.

I guess I'm disappointed that the Sony and Canon software were not even comparable to the Olympus software. In my opinion, digital cameras have come so far, and these companies should offer something comparable to Photoshop instead of customized programs that merely do viewing & very minor changes to photos.

I expected more.

1 comment:

Scrapping in Circles said...

Kodak has great software for photo editing. You can do all sorts of things with your photos. You can use it with any photo.