Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Addendum

I wish my addendum was that she ate another 3.5 oz. Instead, it's that I have to summarize what the sleep book said. It said to make bedtime earlier -> thus more rest -> thus less need for a morning nap. However, it did say an earlier bedtime could backfire. (I give them props for this!) Earlier bedtime could result in earlier wake time -> more need for a morning nap.

Today we actually put her to bed at 7:45. Maybe we can inch it up a little bit to 7:30. We'll see if that helps.

Julia has a lot of books, which I love. But we haven't had many places to put them. Her room is small and full with her crib, a changing table, a dresser, and a toy bin organizer full of toy bins. The books don't really go in the bins. For a while, I've just put the books in a wooden basket, but there's no order to it & we keep pulling out the book on top.

S brought a huge collection of Dr. Seuss into the relationship. While I certainly know Dr. Seuss has a place with green eggs and ham and the cat in the hat, I tend to prefer books that don't rhyme. Now that we have more books that don't rhyme, I'd like to give them some more face time.

So anyway I went to Target and spent a whole lot of time figuring out what would be the best way to go. I started out wanting a bookshelf. Though space in her room is limited, we could put in against a short wall next to her closet. There was a dollhouse bookcase that was cute, but it was white. Her furniture is all a shade of wood called honey - except for the toy organizer, which is white with pastel bins. I kept ambling at Target, and I finally found a wood cube organizer with 9 cubes. 5 of them were bookshelve-compatible, and 4 could fit those colored fabric baskets. I guess it's just a different spin on the toy organizer concept, but I liked that it was more flexible and seemed like a more valid piece of furniture than the toy organizer.

I picked the one that was the closest to her furniture color, and it matches! Wahoo! I love the way it looks. Honey-colored furniture with 9 holes, including 2 with beige fabric baskets and 2 with pink fabric baskets. S put it together tonight, and he even attached it to the wall. (Gotta love a husband that does extemporaneous assembling!) It looks so polished. You can see her books. Her toys are put away in the fabric baskets that you have to pull out to see what's in them. It looks like it "goes" with the room better. And the pastel toy organizer bins are now in the family room. It adds a bit more to our family room, but I think we put more of the toys in the bins it will clean up the mess from the floor and look better overall.

Her room finally looks "complete." It's difficult when you're trying to put together a room before the baby's born and you're not really sure what you're going to need or how you'll really use things. Sometimes you just gotta wing it until you take the time to conscientiously try to figure out what makes the most sense given the situation at hand. Til things change again!

No comments: