Monday, June 15, 2009

Stop! It's the protein police.

I've been a label reading addict for the past two days. Not looking for the normal calories/fat/fiber, but I'm looking for that protein line item that I always ignore. The whole protein obsession makes me think of Atkins. And even saying the name Atkins diet makes me want to convulse. I picture lots of raw eggs (why raw? I have no idea. I just picture massive amounts of raw eggs) and a big plate of steaks that are oozing blood. All with a side of greasy bacon. Atkins = that mental picture, and I immediately want to hurl.

The doctor made excellent points, which have been reiterated over and over already by Marie and Rachel. Now I'm on a protein search...but don't make me eat raw eggs, steak (oozing or not), or bacon.

Once I got over that mental hurdle, I investigated our freezer and pantry. Those turkey burgers from Costco? ONE patty (1/3 pound) has 35 grams of protein! That's almost 50% of the recommended amount in 200 calories of turkey. Awesome! And I've really started to become addicted to Boca patties. Being on Weight Watchers, they are only 1 point (70 calories, minimal fat, 5 grams of fiber). They also have 10 grams of protein each. Boca burgers may just be some sort of miracle food with being so low in points and relatively high in protein. A can of tuna fish has 26 grams of protein and 150 calories. Wow!

Turkey burgers require to be baked or grilled on George.
Tuna is really smelly.
But the Boca patties seem like they'd be really easy for work. I can eat a can of tuna for breakfast though.

*********************************

I like a good charity like the next person. After all, there are so many worthy causes out there. And each one of them seems to have some sort of fundraising walk/run. I thought in the past you pledged a dollar amount for each mile walked/ran. Now it’s more of a lump sum thing. People walk/run for various charities, and I do my online donation.

But I really struggle with the basket concept. We do this thing for our work charity where we create baskets and then other co-workers bid on them, and the money goes to the charity. I suppose it’s a good concept in theory, but often it ends up with spending so much money and time that doesn’t end up going to the charity. We’re told what kind of theme to use for our basket. Then we have to go get a basket, get that cellophane stuff (like I would ever have that stuff on hand!), buy stuff for the basket, put it together all pretty, etc. By the end of the whole deal, you’ve spent at least $100 for your part of the basket plus 3-4 hours of your time shopping and putting the darn thing together. Then you take it to the event, and then the basket only brings in $50 for the charity. So, what you in effect do is spend $150 (the $100 on the basket and the winner’s $50), and the charity ends up with $50. Does that make any sense???

I know the theory is supposed to be that people will bid up the basket to much higher than fair market value. That might happen with a richer audience. If you invite Bill Gates to the auction, a basket could go for the unsightly sum of $2,000. But I live on the part of the planet where the basket will go for less than fair market value.

Therefore, I think I will bow out of the basket creation business in the future and just donate money. It’s far less stressful and will end up with the charity getting more anyway because I suck at putting together auction baskets.

3 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

The basket thing sounds fun to do! However...my basket would be filled with off season clearance items and things from the dollar tree. So, I probably wouldn't rake in much dough ;>)

Scrapping in Circles said...

We do baskets for the school auction. They tend to go for higher amounts, though I agree it is easier just to donate a certain amount of money and have it all go towards the cause. That reminds me of the telemarketers who call for the Police Memorial Fund and such. If you actually read their paperwork, about 95% of your donation goes to pay for the telemarketers. The police, firefighters, etc. only receive about 5% of telephone donations. Sorry, that was a bit of a tangent.

Anyway, I've been thinking it would be good to participate in more walks for good causes. That way, I'm getting exercise and earning money for a good cause. So far I've only done one lately, but it's still a good idea. (=

B said...

LA, you're too funny!

Nicole, 95% go to the telemarketers?? That's crazy! They actually called us this weekend. Glad we didn't donate. But we never donate to solicitors because then you're on the "sucker" list that gets sold to a bazillion places. They all call for S. He gives to many organizations and gives them his real phone number. He got us on the sucker list even though we're unlisted.