Friday, June 5, 2009

Feeling icky, frustrated & ecstatic at the same time

Icky: We are in the throes of dreaded grass pollen season. I am utterly allergic to grass pollen. Grass pollen + heat = misery. If there's rain, it keeps the pollen under control. It hasn't rained in quite a while, so the grass pollen is out of control. So are my sinuses. That sinus surgery helps with the sinus pain and helps to drain my head, but I'm still sneezing & congested & have a sinus headache. I know it's much better than it would have been without the surgery. I'm just whiny because after a week of mid-grade annoyance, I'm so ready for rain or grass pollen season to be over.

Frustrated: Our dang camera. We got the new battery today, and the camera still doesn't work. I don't understand our poor luck with cameras. We had a Sony Cybershot W55. It had really good ratings. We did have that problem initially and had to send the camera back to technical support (since we couldn't return it to the store). That got fixed, and now it has developed yet another really funky problem. Our back-up Olympus is crappy and doesn't work either. I'm not really sure whether we're hard on cameras or what's going on. So I guess this means we have to buy another camera and pronto. I did some research this week, and it seems like the Canon A1000 has good ratings. But why should we go on ratings? We've done that the previous two times and got burnt. Alas, I should probably spin the digital camera roulette wheel and pick whatever camera I land on. It makes me feel a little bit better that we took 5,000 pictures on our Cybershot. At least that makes it a little easier to swallow.

Ecstatic: Long story short, we think Julia has had stomach thrush for a long time. We started Nystatin on Sunday, and she's been eating WELL this whole week. At least 17 ounces of formula per day (one day she hit 25 oz!) plus at least 2 good meals. It seems as though she's gained 1/2 a pound since last Friday. You would not believe what a relief it is to have her willingly eat, particularly liquids. She's tended to eat table food quite well. Our big concern was that she would hardly take any liquids all day. After 5 good days of formula intake, we're hopeful that the increased appetite is here to stay - fingers crossed! Her disposition seems so much better too. A baby that eats is a happier baby. I am so ecstatic!

We're going to try to transition her to a milk-based formula. Perhaps the white blood cells in her tummy were from the thrush instead of an allergy. So starting in her next bottle, some of her formula will be milk-based instead of hypoallergenic. I hope she takes to it without adverse effect.

5 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

Stomach thrush! So that is the culprit? SO GLAD you finally have a name for it!!!!! I am thrilled to hear that she is eating better. Whew! Praise God!
My favorite camera is a Nikon. Canon is excellent too. Funny thing is mine now is a Fuji! Go figure....
Come to Georgia where in the spring everything looks like it is covered in a layer of yellow snow! lol
Feel better soon...

Scrapping in Circles said...

Who figured out the stomach thrush thing? Did the doctors, or did you guys? Was it just chance?

Anonymous said...

Go witha Nikon. I have had no problems with them (except the one with a touch screen). They are awsome point and shoot cameras!

Anonymous said...

That anonymous was me...Ashley. hahahaha

B said...

Thanks for the camera tips!

Stomach thrush - one of my friends said it could be. We had leftover Nystatin from when she had thrush as a newborn. After a day of medicine, she started eating better. We called for a refill and kept giving it to her. And she kept eating better. Crazy, isn't it? I felt all along that something was wrong - I just never thought it could be this simple. Well, she might be susceptible to recurrent thrush, so it may be a problem if it keeps coming back.