Friday, June 26, 2009

Could it be the yogurt?

Julia started having a fever last night. It was in the 102 range during the night, and it came down a bit as dawn approached. But she was cranky and tired and otherwise not up for daycare today. She wakes up at 6am, and of course they expect her to stay up til noon. And that wasn't gonna happen.

So, I stay home. She's whiny, clingy and not feeling great. I can handle all that if she at leasts eats. Well, she didn't. At 7am she ate 4 oz. Good! But that was pretty much it until 6pm. She kept all her food down (yeah, the whole 4 oz). She just refused to eat.

She pooped around 9am. Why is this important? Well, we have to give the doctor stool samples to see if there's blood in them. If there is blood in them, that could be sign of an allergy. She also pooped last night. So I had 2 samples to fill my poop kit! I try to fill in my poop kit while holding her. Let's just say that one of the poop sticks flew across the kitchen. And I couldn't find the thing. So I scour the kitchen looking for a poop swab for 10 minutes. Finally find it, sterilize the area, and off to the doctor's office to turn in the samples pronto. Do you really think I want to leave poop hanging around the house over the weekend?

Go to the doctor's office, deliver the sample, and find out they can test it there. Yippee! Hang around 15 minutes and hear the delightful news that she doesn't have blood in her poop. Yay Julia!

Then we went to the grocery store. I had a few things to pick up, and it's on our way home. Got home, tried to feed her. Nope. Put her down for a nap. Try to feed her when she wakes up. Nope.

This feeding frustration is bringing up not too pleasant and recent memories. I can handle whiny and sick most of the time. I can't handle whiny and sick when I know that if she drank something she'd feel a whole lot better.

Commence lots of frustration.

I give her some Nystatin and 3pm. S (the feeding expert, who is much more patient than I) comes home and tries to feed her. Nope.

Then I remember she ate a tub of yogurt yesterday. That was the only thing that happened that was unusual. She's been off the yogurt for 6 weeks or so. Hmmmmm, got to thinking, is her abysmal appetite due to a fever of 100 degrees or thrush prompted by yogurt?

S got her to eat 5.5 ounces at 6pm. That makes her at about 10 oz for the day. Plus a little sliver of cheese, 10 peas, and a tidbit of peach. Is that a crappy food day or what?

We gave her another dose of Nystatin before bed.

The thing is - if she actually eats tomorrow, we won't know if it's the thrush or if it's the fever.

No comments: