Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Rhymes with Maiden

Back in 2007, per the Social Security Administration, the thing was to name your baby boy something that rhymes with "Maiden." Aaden, Caden and Brayden were exceedingly popular names that year. So I kinda chuckle to myself when I go into the infant room, and I see Julia's cubby with a Brayden on the right and Caden on the left. Of 6 boys, 2 of the boys' names rhyme with "Maiden."

There's a new baby that will be starting. They've already made up the sign for the cubby. "Balin." I stared at that name for 3 days before I gathered up the courage to ask whether it was a boy or a girl.

I indeed fretted about whether to name Julia a "classic" name or a "trendy" name. For most of the pregnancy, we were leaning toward trendy, and in the last few weeks we changed our mind. And I'm so glad we did. I have no ill will toward trendy names, but it just wasn't for us. At least the trendy name we had picked out was an obvious 'girl' name.

Balin. Balin. I keep trying to figure out the rationale for it - balin' hay is about all that I come up with.

For what it's worth, Balin is a boy.

3 comments:

April said...

Ugh, I just always feel sorry for the kids. I remember going to school with so many Jessica's, Ashley's, Amanda's, and Jennifer's. All them shared the middle name Nicole. They are fine names, I was just personally glad to be the only April in our grade. I like classic names and thought I had given all of my kids very simple traditional names until I started noticing that most people could spell or pronounce Liam and had never heard of that name before and couldn't understand how it was short of William. Really? Bill makes sense but Liam doesn't? Weird.

Leigh Ann said...

That's why my son's name is Waylon!! It is an old name and we did not know another soul with that name. I am NOT a fan of trendy names. phooey. If we had a girl, we were leaning towards Annabelle. Old fashioned, that's me.
We had pondered Riley for the longest because it is a combo of RIckY and LEigh ann. But, there are now 1 million Riley's(boys and girls). So, we went with Waylon :)
Now that you mention Balin, I am nervous. Jennifer has a grandson on the way. Wanna guess his name????? Braylon.
Hmmmmmm...do I see a new rhyming trend???
Say it isn't sooooooooo :(

B said...

April, I know what you mean. That was one of the main reasons I didn't go trendy. Because if you see the name Jennifer or Jessica, you can guess within a 5 year age span of when they were born. And I didn't want someone to see her name in 20 years and say, "That was sooooo 2008!"

Leigh Ann, you are a trendsetter!!! Waylon has started a new trend. I love the name Annabelle. So now you have to go for a second. :) You know what name really confuses me? Payton. I see a ton of them, and half are boys & half are girls. Girls are seriously eating up all the boys' names.