Sunday, April 5, 2009

Into the Wild

At B's suggestion, I put the movie "Into the Wild" on hold at the library a few weeks ago. It finally came in this weekend, and I popped it into the DVD player.

Wow! It's along the same vein as "Grizzly Man." It's a true story about a smart dude with a few screws loose who decides to go up to Alaska and live in the wild. Along the way, he meets some really awesome people and learns a lot - except perhaps that living in the great wilds of Alaska may not be as romantic as he imagines it. People tried to tell him that, but he didn't quite listen.

The movie resonates with me on many levels. Mental disorders, bad childhoods, romanticizing/idealizing something that isn't, persistence, sheer stupidity, pride, self-control. There was a lot there. Almost anyone can take a lot from that movie.

Two thumbs up!

3 comments:

April said...

oh I meant to see that one. I'll have to get it from netflix!

Leigh Ann said...

Hmmmmmmm....I think my brother and his wife said that was good movie....someone told me it was good, can't remember who? Anyway, I'll have to check it out.
That Grizzly dude was NUTS, wasn't he???? That was just CRAZY what he did....

B said...

It really was a good, thought-provoking one. LA, the Grizzly dude had serious issues. Can you imagine someone that unstable walking the streets? I'm glad he was in Alaska or wherever he was.