Tuesday, April 28, 2009

I know I'm a nutjob

You don't need to tell me that I'm a nutjob. I already know it. I need to count some Cheerios. As you know, Miss J is underweight. My darling dear LOVES puffs. Imagine my dismay that she ingests 1 calorie for every 3 puffs. I had thought it was 1 calorie for every 2 puffs, but that may have been the generic brand. Ugh! Can there be a more low calorie food for someone who needs all the calories she can get? Once we're done with all the puffs in the house, NO MORE PUFFS! I want to move to Cheerios exclusively (and they're cheaper anyway). But I want to count out how many Cheerios are in 1 serving and then do the math to figure out how many calories are in a Cheerio. I'm thinking it's more than 1/3 of a calorie.

Speaking of Gerber foods, have you ever looked at the calorie content of their ravioli? When I looked at the container initially, I was jazzed because I thought this was a good calorie dense meal. Every time I even look at ravioli, I gain 10 lbs. So I thought it had to be the same for babies. The Gerber ravioli is 70 calories for 6 ounces when I looked at the nutrition facts! That seems insanely low. I need to be eating those Gerber raviolis. Even if I eat 3 containers, it's only 210 calories for over a pound of ravioli!!!! Hmmm...how about I eat Julia's ravioli, and she eats mine? Sounds like a good trade, huh? ;)

Julia is really liking those microwaveable containers of Gerber mac & cheese and pasta & shells. Yes, she LIKES them! As in, she opens her mouth for more and gets excited as the spoon approaches. Considering she is now refusing avocado & yogurt (at least at home; she'll eat it at daycare), I'm glad there's something she WILL eat. Mac & cheese isn't the most healthy thing on the planet, but - hey - it's calories and it's not a fight to feed it to her. She also ate some cheddar cheese for dinner. And puffs, can't forget those 1/3 of a calorie puffs! At least she ate some peaches and yogurt at daycare. We still have to work on veggies. Actually I've been bad about feeding them to her because a lot of veggies are 30 calories for 4 ounces. So very low.

I'm stressing over the transition to whole milk. I'm trying to give her more dairy (i.e., cheese) in her daily eating to get her more used to milk since she's on hypoallergenic formula. And I'm worried about her moving to the toddler room. Two HUGE changes in a month from now - just when we got into a little groove. I think Julia takes after her mama and hates change. Or she hates change that's not on her terms.

I had something else to report, but I forgot what it was. I'm getting so forgetful. It will come to me at 3am, whatever it is.

No comments: