Thursday, April 23, 2009

Brown Flowers


Oh my goodness, Julia and I took a halfway decent picture together! Her paci's in her mouth, but at least she's looking at the camera. I don't have snot coming out of my nose. But.... there is my mom's stupid couch. Ugh!

I hate this couch. Brown flowers? Really??? It radiates 1970s. Even as a toddler, I thought this couch was nasty. This living room set is my mom's pride and joy though. She and my dad bought it just after they got married (1976, y'all, if you couldn't tell by the brown flowers). They spent some unheard of sum for it back then - like $1,200. And she will tell you that they spent that much on their fancy dancy living room set, as if 1976 was just yesterday. Yes, I realize that $1,200 in 1976 was a lot. But it's been 33 years! They have served their purpose, working hard for 33 years. Don't you think they deserve to retire, Mom? Go to the couchie retirement home?

Honestly they are in very good condition for being 33 years old. Back when I was a teenager and chewed gum constantly, I fell asleep on the couch and got green gum all over the couch. Most of it was on a brown flower, thank goodness. For the next few days, I surreptiously tried to get the gum off before my mom got home. I think I succeeded because I can't even find where my 'secret' is. It's one of those things that she will never, ever know about. Don't tell me I'm the only one with secrets like that.

I've tried to get rid of these couches. I've been plotting their demise for at least 20 years. When we got new family room furniture, I gave her our old couches (circa 1999, it's not like they were THAT old). She didn't like them, though, and out came Brown Flowers again. Her husband doesn't like Brown Flowers either. He never sits on any of them, opting instead for a wooden rocking chair with a blanket over it.

Brown Flowers has always been the formal living room set. You know, the one you see immediately when you open the front door. This is the one you're supposed to impress your friends and family with while the icky, everyday couch hides in the back of the house in whatever the 'real' comfy room is called - whether it be den / family room / etc. But in their new house, there's only one living room - so Brown Flowers is IT unless you want to sit at the dining room table.

My mother has become a Craigslist addict. She buys furniture off Craiglist. She bought a grandfather clock ($50!!!), a dining room set, a buffet, etc. All of the stuff is from what decade? Come on, give a guess. Any guess! Yep, the 1970s. I think the buffet could be from the 1980s. It is reminiscent of those 1980s waterbed structures. Remember those? There was a mirror with oak headboard cabinets and bookshelves. Come on, you know you remember them.

And, no, my mother is not poor. She thinks she's poor, but she's not. She's just quite attached to 1970s furniture.

Julia, do you think you can take down Brown Flowers? I'd prefer to not buy her a new living room set, so maybe you can make it a subtle take-down. Barf on it a little while she's not watching, knock into Grandma when she's carrying hot chocolate, you get the drift!

5 comments:

April said...

AHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! I hate brown flower couches, Mushroom canister sets, Harvest Gold and Avocado green, wallpaper of any kind, and lacey window treatments. They seriously make me throw up in my mouth a little.

B said...

And you're displeased with your couch (although I think it's more because of the condition rather than the pattern). See, you could have much, much worse.

Marie Tere said...

Some of your moms habits sound so familiar .... hmmmm.....

B said...

Marie, shhhhhh. I try to hide the similarities as much as possible.

Leigh Ann said...

I have SEEN this couch before! Not sure where, but somewhere in around 1970something...I saw it.
You are looking SKINNY!!! :) :) :)