Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Teeth Angst

People have told me that Julia has been teething for months and months and months. Cranky baby? It's gotta be teething! Ummm, yeah.... I seriously had two mothers tell me when Julia was 2 months old that she was cutting her molars! Yes, she was screaming and her gums were a little white back there. But she was 2 months old, for crying out loud! She had NO teeth yet, and she was sprouting her molars??? Made absolutely NO sense to me. I think mothers of quiet, peaceful children attribute any fussing to teeth. Let me tell you this: most of Julia's angst has NOT revolved around teeth. And I roll my eyes when anyone attributes her crankiness to teething. People have been crying wolf for a lonnnnng time, and no teeth were seen.

She got her first two bottom teeth at the same time at 9 months old.

We checked this weekend, and still no signs of any more teeth. Of course, we'd LOVE her to have more teeth because she could chomp her finger foods better.

Well, it was quite a pleasant surprise when Jennifer said that one of Julia's teeth popped through. It's a little fang - top right canine. I feel like a bad mommy for not noticing myself. But I swear it wasn't there this weekend!

3 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

Oh, how cute! Did I tell you that Waylon has both top front teeth coming in now? I wonder if Julia's next tooth will the the other little "fang?" How adorable!!

April said...

Beth-even full time stay at home moms miss that stuff sometimes! I have been at home for over 5 years and I still deal with other people telling me stuff about my kids that I hadn't noticed yet! Cate and Simon both cut teeth 'late' by most standards. They were 6 or 7 months before we had teeth and every.single.time they were fussy, all I heard was "ohhh he/she is cutting a tooth! Look, he/she is drooling!" Apparently my kids just drool for no reason. Liam shocked me by popping out his first tooth at 4 months. I didn't even know they could cut teeth that early. It's not all that fun though. the sooner that get a mouth full of teeth, the sooner that start biting the shit out of you at any given moment. Ouch. Teeth are highly overrated. Honestly, how often do you give Julia a steak? That kid is eating soft food and her gums can take care of that.

Leigh Ann-I love your sons name. That is so cool! Family name or just an oldie/goodie that ya'll liked?

B said...

LA, I already thought Waylon had his upper teeth. I'm a bad MIL! This chomping thing is awesome.

April, I believe they picked Waylon because it was more unique - though LA can probably tell you more! Yeah, I've been bitten. Why do I not think of that part? Oh how it will feel to have 8 tooth marks instead of 2!