Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Grocery Shopping

I stopped by the store after work in my neverending quest to find something Julia will eat. Today's purchases were turkey, Teddy Grahams, rice pudding, mandarin oranges and bananas. Yeah, I've really got to work on that food group called vegetables. I think I'll try sweet potato fries and waffles in my next supermarket adventure. Not that waffles are a veggie, but I'm making a mental list of what I'll need next time.

So there was a dude in the checkout line right in front of me. He looked to be in his 20s. He bought 24 strawberry Yoplait yogurts, a buttload of Bumble Bee tuna kits (the kind with tuna and crackers and mayo), a buttload of Progresso Beef Pot Roast soup & a buttload of cans of fruit cocktail. He probably had 24 of each of the four things. To each his own, but it was kind of odd. It's like a month's supply of food, provided that you eat the same thing every day. When you think about it, it does seem almost balanced. Fruit, yogurt, meat, veggies & fish. He hit more of the food groups than I did.

I wonder about supermarket checkers. They must be close to get their psych degrees, don't you think? They probably know the type of person you are based on the food you buy.

The funniest experience I had in the checkout line was when I bought a huge amount of frozen dinners when there was a really good sale. I had 15 or so of them, albeit different varieties. Anyway, the checker looked at me and made a comment on how easy they were for single people like me. I was married then, so I tried to hide my wedding ring. The checker was probably the type of person who thinks a married woman shouldn't serve her husband frozen dinners. Ooops, let me slink away quietly. I'm an awful cook, and most days my husband would prefer frozen dinners over my cooking.

I like to think I have some redeeming qualities as a wife, but cooking just isn't one of them. :)

2 comments:

Scrapping in Circles said...

My dh enjoys frozen dinners. I don't see why only single people can have them. There are many times that I have an evening meeting or activity...or that I'm just exhausted...and my dh pops one of those in the oven. That checker must be new. (=

Marie Tere said...

Sounds like he is feeding a classroom.