Thursday, May 7, 2009

Does anyone look good in yellow?

My mother saved a few of my 'special' outfits from when I was a kid and kept them in storage for many years. Then a few years ago she started randomly giving me stacks of my old clothes, perhaps the gesture meant, "Hint hint, time to have kids, and I'm even giving you free clothing." Other assorted relevant facts: 1) I was born in the 1970s. 2) My mother's favorite colors are yellow and sky blue. 3) My mother really wanted a boy.

I have no idea what to do with this pile of 1970s and early 1980s clothing. They are mostly outdated and horrendous. I can't even bring myself to give them away. Seriously, who would even pay a quarter for a 1970s prairie dress at Goodwill? I must admit that I LOVE that she kept my Smurfette shirt. I was obsessed with the Smurfs, and I wore the Smurfette shirt all the time. I also wore purple velcro tennis shoes all the time, but I think she tossed those, as I insisted on wearing them with everything & she probably plotted their downfall as I have plotted the downfall of Brown Flowers (the couch).

So what do I do with the Pile o' Crap (minus the Smurfette shirt - which must be framed, of course)? I dunno.

I found a picture of my mom and me circa late 1978. And that ugly, short as all get out dress is in the pile of clothes she gave to me. The dress is for 19-22 pounds. Julia's only 17 pounds and average height, but it is a minidress for her. Gotta love the 1970s! I tried to recreate the pose with Miss J. For Mother's Day, I got a side-by-side frame. My dear husband jerryrigged the old picture to fit in the frame. Voila, a sentimental (maybe?) Mother's/Grandmother's Day gift! I was 8 months old in the first picture, and Julia just turned 11 months in her picture. Notice how even as a baby, my arms were freaking HUGE compared to her her arms at 3 months older. And obviously she has much more hair, and it's much darker than mine was.






Hopefully Miss J won't need therapy after having to wear that dress. I guess it's not too horrible, but the white apron-y thing is a separate dress that goes on top of the yellow dress.

4 comments:

Ann said...

Super cute! My mom also has a penchant for those super short dresses, and somehow has found some current ones for Sophie. Every dress I buy Sophie is was too long, in my moms opinion.

B said...

Who would have thunk that ours moms would approve of our daughters displaying so much thigh?! :)

Scrapping in Circles said...

That was the style and they always had matching bloomers, so it was okay. (=

I think the dress is cute and the photo is fun. I have one of Elizabeth in front of her elementary school sign which was the same one I had gone to. How nostalgic.

Marie Tere said...

And look at your mouth B ....just like Ms. J's ...open for the picture! Love it!