Sunday, May 3, 2009

Sometimes you gotta wonder

It was a great weekend! On Saturday S had a tae kwon do tournament. He ended up kicking some booty and winning gold! He got a few minor scrapes and bruises, but he'll mend. For most of the day Miss J and I hung out. I'm uploading some videos to Facebook right now that show what we did. Short story: she put tupperware on her face and spun herself around, and she jumped. We also took a long walk, but I didn't video that. After an injured S came home, I went out shopping. Today S mowed the lawn, we played, we took a family walk, and S and I went out to dinner to celebrate his birthday while my mom watched Miss J. And Miss J was good! That's awesome because maybe she'll watch Miss J again sometime.

I wish we had a bigger consortium of babysitters. I've told people we need to take turns watching the kids, but we've never actually worked out such a system. So until that system gets worked out, we only have one babysitter.

At the grocery story I only had a few things, and I was only 3rd in line. But it was one of those lines where it literally took 15 minutes for the two people ahead of me to check out. It wasn't the cashier's fault. Both of these ladies had issues. The first one didn't have enough money, so she had to look through her wallet several times. Then she had to forfeit some items. I felt bad for her.

The next lady - I should have figured it out sooner. She had two separate orders going on; after I unloaded, I realized her first order was milk, juice and cereal. WIC. Ugh, I hate being behind the WIC people. Sometimes they have 3 separate transactions: WIC stuff, food stamp stuff, other stuff. So even though you only have 1 person in front of you, it's like having 3 people. She royally screwed up her WIC checks - some were expired, and she didn't match up the right things. The cashier was giving her grief for 1) being in the express line with more than 12 items and 2) not having all her WIC crap together and correct. The cashier was saying she could lose her job if the WIC transaction isn't correct. So then proceeded several minutes of the cashier to try and figure out what was going on while the lady examined her fake nails. And I examined the lady: professional highlights in her hair, fake nails, Costco card, Abercrombie shirt, designer purse, name brand jeans.

I really don't mind helping people who need it, but this lady either doesn't need the WIC help, or she tries hard to pretend that she doesn't need the help.

5 comments:

Ann said...

Beth, I would be happy to babysit Julia. I may be looking for a Sophie sitter for June 27th, my cousins wedding. I haven't decided, but the wedding isn't until 7pm. Having worked with many people who worked the system, I am a little jaded when it comes to government programs. We had one girl with two kids that only wore designer clothes, only clothed her kids in desginer clothes, and spent more on one Lipstick(had to be MAC) then all my Target makeup put together! She collected from every program possible and bought all new furniture with her tax return(didn't have to pay taxes but got the credit) Ugh!

B said...

We're available that evening! That would be fun.

:)

Just posted the jumperoo video. She loves it - but only for about 10 minutes. Then I think claustrophobia takes over. But, hey, it's 10 minutes that we have to prepare dinner!

Leigh Ann said...

I will not get political on your blog....but I darn sure could! ;0)
I wish we lived closer!!! We could trade out babysitting services for our high maintenance babies with no troubles. hee hee
Yay Stephen!!!! Got the GOLD...that's awesome!
I actually caught those videos on FB...they are adorable.

Scrapping in Circles said...

I too have a problem with people abusing the welfare system. I think that is the problem with the State and Federal Government running them. They are too big and busy to really make sure that the people who need the help get it, and keep out the people who don't. It seems like the people I know who need the help don't qualify, but people who don't qualify without a problem.

I also am horrible at picking the quick check out line. No matter which I pick, it will be five times slower than all the others. So, if you ever see me in the store, pick a different line than mine. (=

B said...

Great to hear your thoughts, LA and Nicole! Nicole, I agree.