Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Golf

We live on a golf course. Not sure why since we despise golf. Okay, I know why. Because in 1999 when we were looking for a house, this development was just being built & we have the smallest house in the middle of much more expensive houses. Location, location, location. Isn't that what we're told anyway? Suburbia surrounding a golf course should be some sort of idealic heaven where your property values double every year, at least according to the promotional literature. Yeah right.

Idealic heaven that consists of windows being smashed by golf balls, property values plummeting, and the stupid golf course alarm goes off at 11pm. It's been going off for an hour. And what does a golf course alarm sound like? It's an unrelenting BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. It's like the sound makes when the garbage truck is trying to back up. BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

For an hour.

How do I know it's the golf course alarm? Last time it happened it was 2am and was beeping for just as long. That time I was more adventurous and went outside and tried to investigate. Dang golf course that is positioned like an ampitheater, so it echoes forever.... BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

I tried to ignore it, but I can't. So my ingenious idea is to close the window. I lay down and try to sleep, but you can still hear the BEEP. BEEP. BEEP.

If you lay there quietly, it no longer sounds like a garbage truck in reverse with the windows closed. It sounds like an alarm clock instead. Who can sleep while an alarm clock is beeping at you?

So I can't sleep and am writing this blog entry to share my pain.

What part of the golf course is alarmed? Heck if I know. All I know is that alarm goes off late at night when it's warm. It's got to be kids that trigger something. And we get to hear BEEP. BEEP. BEEP. until some unlucky worker gets their butt into the building to turn it off.

No comments: