Monday, May 4, 2009

It's Sip-tastic!

We have been trying to get Julia to drink from a sippy cup to no avail. I mean, she's 11 months now and cannot drink from anything but a baby bottle. This does not bode well.

Alas, last night on the eve of her 11 month birthday, she got a few sips from water through a straw. It wasn't a lot of water, but - hey - it's progress. And the sippy cup winner is? The sad part is that it wasn't a sippy cup technically. It was one of those Take 'n Toss Gerber lidded cups with a plain old straw. Does that mean this isn't a real sippy cup victory?

GI appointment tomorrow. We'll see how much she weighs. Gotta gather our questions for the doctor. 1) Should we do a feeding study? 2) She still eats an abysmal amount at each feeding (usually 1-3 ounces). Is her stomach really small or could there be another reason? 3) This transition off of formula - do we hold off since she's small or do it in increments? 4) Any suggestions for weaning her off of the reflux meds?

If you read the old blog, you'll know that my daycare letter last month prompted a big change - Courtney got moved out of the infant room! I listed out all my concerns and did not point any fingers at Courtney even though Courtney is probably the least capable of all the workers at daycare. She can't figure out how to feed Julia or get her to nap. My letter ceremoniously got rid of Courtney as an infant provider, and S and I thought that was an erratic jump, but we were secretly glad. Well, if Alyssa's (Julia's favorite) not there, Courtney's still in the infant room. Friday was a very bad day for food, and guess who was in the room all day? Courtney!

So as I was dropping her off this morning, I said that Friday was a bad day for food and said that if Jennifer AND Alyssa aren't there, Julia seems to have a bad day. Or at least that's what I surmise from the food log. And Jennifer proceeds to tell me that if certain people (i.e., Courtney) come into the room, Julia screams her head off.

Julia doesn't like Courtney. While Julia is extremely high maintenance, she does tend to warm up to people after seeing them for a few weeks. If it's been 4 months, and Julia STILL doesn't like her, then that does make me wonder about how Courtney treats Julia. We kept Friday's log as ammunition just in case Courtney starts spending more time in the infant room.

4 comments:

Leigh Ann said...

Don't let anyone pressure you or Julia to do anything before she is ready for it. SHE will let you know when she is ready for a sippy cup :) I tell you I am about ready to chunk my books out the door. They make me a nervous, anxious wreck! Spoon feeding himself by 12 months...no bottles past 12 months...what what what! I think we do better to listen to our own babies than a dumb old book.
Having said that..I am SOOOOOOOOOOOO READY to be RID of stupid bottles! We are almost there. I give Waylon a cup 90% of the time. But I think Jennifer gives him more bottles than I do. I have a feeling it will be harder to break Jennifer off the bottle than it will Waylon. LOL
Don't stress...she'll take a cup when SHE is ready :)
I am stoked about her appointment tomorrow! I feel like she's Waylon's little sister and I wanna know what's ailing her as bad as you do. So, let us know what report you get back from them....I'll pray you get the answers you need.

B said...

It's so funny about those books. We have about 5 of them, and we've only consulted them a few times. When I was nursing - trying to figure out how much she should be eating. Then her first fever. Then the GI said to not look at them. Julia's special, she's on her own growth curve (then I really worried that he was referring to her being special ed - but only for growth).

For some stupid reason, I have been obsessing over the sippy cup. I guess it's because I know 5 month olds who have figured it out. 6 months of a delay for a baby seems HUGE!

Intellectually I know the only place she is delayed is eating. But for some reason I'm extrapolating that she might have other issues.

Bad mommy! Kisses to Julia's big brother!

Ann said...

Sophie didn't get the hang of the sippy cup until well after she was a year old, and couldn't use a straw until some time after that. Actually, I didn't give her a straw until she was about 18 months. She enjoys playing with liquid too much.

Scrapping in Circles said...

I've heard that most bottle-fed babies don't switch to sippy cups very smoothly. My kids didn't ever use bottles, so sippy cups were the only thing we had to introduce. The problem is that they love to suck lots of water out. They just don't want to drink it all.