Thursday, August 19, 2010

Signage or lack thereof

My little vacation is ending.  I really haven't done much of anything for the past few days.  And I mean anything other than small household chores.  It's kind of nice, but then it's also kind of mind numbing to be so useless.  My infection seems to be clearing up, but the coughing/wheezing is still hanging on...ugh.  Anyway, I've been working my butt off on house projects for the past 8 months and working, so it's nice just to sit and relax and be a bump on the log.  I don't even veg out in front of the TV.  Aside from the usual Barney and Elmo hour a day of TV watching with Miss J, I've probably watched about an hour total of TV in the past few days.  And I got some clunkers of books from the library recently, so I haven't even been reading.  It's hard to even account for my time.  Maybe I should be excited to go back to work and actually do something productive all day. 

One thing I did do today was to take a long walk.  Usually I stick to the surface streets, but it's sunny out today.  So I headed to the state park, which is full of trees and provides cover from the direct sunshine.  Ah, because we all know that I'm a vampire...before they became cool due to Stephenie Meyer.

Although I do adore being on the trails, I despise the lack of signage.  There's lots of forks in the trail with no real direction about how to get anywhere.  I was going to the beach, and I know that it's about 200 feet down in elevation, so of course it makes sense to take the downward trail when the option is that or a flat trail.  Duh.  Occasionally there was even a sign, like this one.



One time there actually was signage.  It was a true delight.  See the fork in the trail, and there's a sign! 
 
What does the sign say?  Let's take a closer look.
Two of the three signs said this.  Okay, you can hike or ride your bike.  To where?  Hmmm...who knows... The other sign said this.
Pretty much like the other two signs, except that your dog can go on this trail.  Why can't your dog go on the other two trails?  Who knows.  Remember, I don't make the signs.  I just show them. 



I ran into this circular little trail.  Evidently the trail used to go to the left, but then a fallen tree came and ruined that thought, so people went around the other side. 


I love steps made out of logs.  It's so freaking awesome.  It was a steep climb but so worth it.  Then I came to the worst fork in the road yet.  It's a 5 way trail intersection. It only looks like a 4-way in the picture, but straight ahead it splits off again.  Notice the lack of signage because, after all, why would you need signs when you come to a 5-way intersection?  Nah, make it interesting, make people work for their hike.  By the way, the way to the beach is to the right.  The way out of the park is to go straight ahead and then make a subtle left up Heart Attack Hill.




Ah, sun!!!!  When I find pockets like this, where the sun is getting in through the trees, I want to hide rather than walk through it.  Perhaps evidence that I may be part vampire.  How did I survive living in Las Vegas for 3 years with the relentless sunshine? 

Yet another trail intersection without signage.  Seriously, must I bequeath in my will a sum of money to make proper signs in this park? 


And that was my walk in the state park without proper signage.

No comments: