Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Political musings

For the most part, I avoid politics on here.  To each their own, is my general philosophy. I belong to some groups whose politics are very different from mine.  S's family is vigilant Republican.  The kind with NRA bumper stickers on their car.  So, suffice it to say, I mingle with people whose politics are very different from my own.  I think S's parents think I'm communist.  Kinda funny since I have a master's degree in finance; there's got to be a part of me that appreciates capitalism.  I don't think you can be a communist AND a finance person.  Isn't that mutually exclusive or something?

While I'm fairly Democratic, I think the government has interfered with the economy too much in the past decade. 

I'm against the death penalty. 

I'm pro-choice.  Yes, yes, I know this contradicts up above.  And I know it goes against the view of the church.  And no, I probably wouldn't ever do it.  But still...I support it.

I'm pro gay marriage.  Don't make me watch "Queer as Folk" again though.  I accept it in theory, but when I see the technical part & can't find the remote...make it go away!

I support a progressive tax system and think tax rates should be higher at all levels.  If we want quality education for all, state and national parks, a safety net for those down on their luck, etc., then a strong tax base is required to support it.

I support national health care. 

I cannot stand Dino Rossi.  The king of smarm. 

I support the Social Security age increasing.  I believe Social Security should be there to provide a minimum level of retirement income.  I also believe that it's a person's responsibility to save for the future.

I believe in welfare being a safety net in times when people lose their jobs and unemployment income has dropped off.  I think all people recognize that people fall under hard times, and that safety net should be there.  As far as welfare abuse, that just makes me sad that people would choose that route. 

I wish people would only have children if they could afford them in the time, money and energy that they require. 

Democrat?  Most certainly.  Marxist?  Don't think so. 

2 comments:

Marie Tere said...

You are amazing Ms. B. When I grow up, I hope to be at least half as smart as you :)

B said...

I like when Marie is sarcastic. Because when I grow up, I want to be you. I want to be selfless like you, I want to make cookies the way you do, and I want to be an S275 expert like you.