Monday, August 30, 2010

Heelys and Book Club

When I post things about a company on here (other than Chase or Bank of America, which couldn't care less about their reputations), I have someone from that company reading that post within 24 hours.  How would you like that job of reading people's blog posts and opinions that mentioned your company's name?  What an interesting job.  And since someone from Heely WILL be reading this, I'm giving him or her a shout out & think that person should get a raise.  Still loving my Heelys even though my coordination while on them is not up to snuff.  Heely Heely Heely Heely.  Do you think that if I mention them multiple times, the designated blog reader will get here faster?

Anyway, that's just a reminder to myself that I need to be more mindful. 

The book club I'm in is obsessed with Lisa S e e  books.  We read one a year ago, and we have another to read for September.  If you haven't read them and think you will, then don't read this.  I actually enjoyed the other one slightly, but I was kind of bugged that the whole dissolution of a friendship occurred over a sentence that was misinterpreted incorrectly based on the Chinese language.  So the whole moral of the book is that before you throw away your best friend over one sentence, make sure you clarify that is what the person intended to say?  Thought that was common knowledge.  Well, that's kind of all I got out of the book other than footbinding sucks. 

This book bugs me even more.  I'm not even a third of the way through, and I don't like it...at all.  We're back in historical China.  A 15 year old girl from a wealthy family is entering an arranged marriage with a son of her father's friend.  She hasn't met her betrothed.  For three nights, her father puts on an opera for her, and on the first night she meets a guy she falls in love with after exchanging about three sentences.  They meet on the second and third night as well.  On the third night, her father confirms the arranged marriage in front of everyone and says that it will take place in 5 months.  So what does this genius of a girl do?  Starves herself for 5 months because she's so upset that she has to marry the dude her dad picked instead of the guy she meets at the opera.  She finds out that the guy her dad picked IS the same guy as the one she met at the opera.  What a misunderstanding (just like the previous book)!  But oops, it's too late.  She dies the next day from starvation.  I'm only 1/3 through this book, and I feel that's kind of the end.  Right?  Perhaps the moral of the story will be that you shouldn't starve yourself to death until you actually meet your husband and decide that you'd rather die than live with him.  Now the book is going on into afterlife stuff, and I'm slowly plodding along despite thinking the book is over.  Unless it's like a soap opera, and maybe she'll come back to life. 

I do like the author's writing style, and she has a way of making the Chinese culture seem really understandable.  The character decisions are where I sigh.

No comments: