Sunday, August 8, 2010

Climb of 295 feet

I'm going on two weeks of this horrible smoker cough. These past few days have been interesting because after a few deep coughs, I feel gaggy and like I'm going to puke. A few times I almost did. And since I'm trying to cough into my elbow, I would have puked all over myself. Attractive, huh? Seriously, cough, please go away. People are giving me these looks like I've got super contagious whooping cough. And the whole gagging/puking thing sucks. My husband just asked if I'm blogging about my ever persistent cough. YES! Why doesn't he have it? Aren't I a kind wife for not sharing this nasty sickness?

Elevation check: 197 ft above sea level at the lowest point on the hill, 492 ft at the highest point. I climb 295 feet on my walks (about 30 stories), but there's lots of winding around in that too, so it's likely a lot more. Of course nerdy me had to GPS the altitude. Rock hard glutes, here I come!

Family dinner with the relatives who went on the cruise was tonight.

The way the girlfriend of the cousin spoke was just like my aunt in Pennsylvania. I don't know if it's a way of speaking, or an accent, or what. These folks are from New Jersey. I was born on the East Coast and lived there for several years, but I think I've been completely westernized since I can pick up on that dialect.

The girlfriend was kind of mean. A Kate Gosselin kind of mean. She rehashed her story of how the cruise was awful, and she had a horrible room, and she had to demand an upgrade. And the hair cut. Oh my goodness, the hair. It was dark, with two blond stripes, that long thing to the side in the front, and the poof thing in back. Just like Kate Gosselin's style pre-wig, except this woman had darker hair. I could not stop staring at the hair. It needed its own nickname or something. She dressed like Kate too. And she called his daughter her daughter. They've only been dating for a few months. Eeek eeek eeek.

Oh, and the crazy sister-in-law who called the cops on S's parents was there. Then she and the girlfriend tried to outdo each other on who has seen the most/best concerts. It's times like these where I appreciate that I'm the type who doesn't have to contribute to such foolishness.

We took our token picture taken for the mothers. I realized that if I was a guy and had to choose between my crazy sister-in-law and the Kate Gosselin wannabe, I'd choose to be a priest instead. My husband said he's glad he married me. Awwww, I'd feel warm and fuzzy about the statement if he actually wasn't envisioning himself stuck with either of the other two.

No comments: