Sunday, August 15, 2010

Blitherings on a hot night

It's hot. At midnight it should NOT be this hot unless you're in Las Vegas. Even if it's hot during the day here, usually in the evening it cools down a little & there's a breeze. Nope, not tonight. Stagnant, hot air is not my favorite walking environment.

I read a book today that I'm thoroughly embarrassed about reading. And I'm embarrassed for the library for buying it. The thing was full of typos. Horrible, horrible typos. Illusion/allusion, principal/principle, insure/ensure. Then a long paragraph was repeated in its entirety. I'm so embarrassed about the atrocity I'm not even posting it on Goodreads.

As I was catching up on my blog reading, there were a few perma-happy bloggers that apologized for having some not-so-happy blog entries. I don't understand why people feel they must only post happy blogs. Life is full of ups and downs, and the bad comes along with the good.

I suppose I use the opposite formula as the perma-happy bloggers. I tend to be more cynical in my blog than in real life. If you know me in real life, you know that I'm a reasonably happy person. I know I was dealt a nice hand in life. What I wasn't dealt I worked hard to achieve. What was taken from me made me stronger. I don't pick that many battles to fight because they aren't that important in the bigger picture.

I admit it, sometimes I play the stupid card. What can I say? It works with most people. You can get away with a lot if you play the stupid card, and in turn people don't expect much from you. Probably the best advantage of playing the stupid card is that you can stay at least 10 steps ahead of whomever thinks you're stupid.

Sometimes when you let things slide that you probably shouldn't, and then on top of that you dumb yourself down on occasion, you just need to be able to let it all out somewhere. Despite my cynicism on here most of the time, I truly am happy. Probably the only thing I wish for is to be around more people who I can connect with. It doesn't seem like I know a lot of people who truly understand me. I'm not talking acquaintances to do things with; I'm talking about people who really, truly understand. That seems hard to come by. I can usually figure out a person far more easily than I can be figured out. It's not because I think I'm a weird enigma or anything. I just think it's that I don't share myself well with others. Hence, the blog. I'm trying to work on it.

No comments: