The concept of school pictures is actually helpful (in theory) to a parent. Taking your kid to professional pictures is an ordeal, involving travel & ensuring the picture outfit or outfits don't get stained & moods stay lighthearted & the subject has eaten enough and slept enough. Why not just let the school worry about it while you go about your day?
Because, folks, you might end up with this as your school picture memento:
Julia's first ever school picture.
OMG! I cannot believe I advocated to S that we should let Julia get school pictures taken. I advocated PAYING for this. What?! Lesson learned. While I'm a very, very amateur photographer, I could do better than this. Okay, a 5 year old could do better than this.
I thought they would do pictures with a nice boring blue background. Oooh, or that carpeted shelf thing for them to put their hands would be kind of cute. I could tolerate that. But...THIS???
1. The Bumbo from 1982. Really??? She is 16 months old and can stand by herself or sit by herself. Must you force her into a chair for 6 month olds? Could it at least be a neutral color?
2. The atrocious backdrop. Blue camo???
3. The matching atrocious floor cloth. In what decade was this acceptable?
4. The fake plants…nuff said.
5. The bottoms of her shoes are showing.
6. Her terrified look. I'm sure they think it's an almost smile. I think she's about ready to scream at being around this hideous collection of props with a strange person taking her picture.
7. The least objectionable prop is the teddy bear. And she wants nothing to do with it, which makes it seem very awkward. Plus it is completely obstructing her.
I want my money back!!!! I even paid for the CD. I'm such a freaking idiot.
Laughing is allowed. Please don't try to tell me it's not that bad. Because, let's be honest, it's downright awful. Who in their right mind would pick that kind of backdrop???
And here is a picture we took this weekend. We're only amateur photographers, but I think we captured her essence a whole lot better than Herff Jones. Herff Jones sucks at photography.
Our amateur photo: