Monday, December 13, 2010

Sumo Wrestler Baby

A few hours old

I've been going through pictures because we got a digital picture frame for my mom for Christmas, and we will have to preload pictures on it.  1) She doesn't operate cameras and 2) She doesn't transfer stuff.  So we bought a picture frame and preloaded it for her.  Hence, I'm going through old pictures.

Back when Julia was born, we were shocked to see a sumo wrestler Asian baby.  You see, my husband and I are both as white as white can be.  We are both extremely pale, I have fairly light hair, my husband has dark hair but had blond hair for most of his childhood.  We were expecting a white baby with no hair or blond hair.  We were both small babies.  I was 5 lbs, S was the "biggest" baby of the three siblings at a whopping 6 lbs and some change. 

And to our surprise, we got sumo wrestler Asian baby.  Darker skin (likely jaundice at the time), FAT, black hair.  The first or second thing I said was, "She kinda looks Asian."  Husband agreed.  We took this screaming Asian sumo wrestler home on Day 2, still wondering if she got mixed up with some scrawny blond, white baby from the time it takes to get from my stomach to the warming table. 

Even now, 2.5 year later, I look at this picture and think, "She really did look like a sumo wrestler baby."  Now she doesn't.  She looks like a scrawny white girl with corkscrew curls.  But back in the day she was fat and kinda Asian looking.

No comments: