Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Gosh gosh gosh

No work for 13 more days!  Woohoo!  I didn't technically work today, but there was Julia's first dentist appt (epic tragedy) + a gingerbread house playdate for 10 kids (went well, but it completely tapped me out after the dentist).  Let us not forget the most epic poop ever at the library.  My child doesn't poop in public...ordinarily.  We had been out all day, and she does really, really like the library...  And she hadn't pooped in 2 days....  Ummm, she even got poop on her socks, it was that kind of epic poop.  I'm kinda *done* after the epic day even though it was technically a vacation day.

Matchmaking.  It's an interesting activity.  You are friends with one person, you are friends with another person, they're both single, you put them together.  Or maybe you just think about it.  I don't know about you, but like everything in my life, I take matchmaking seriously.  As in, the implications are big, so only do it if you're fairly confident of what the results would be.  After all, it could be an epic fail and then you could lose TWO friends.  Not good.  For me, the criteria is not just having 2 single friends.  I have been asked if I know someone to fix someone else up with many, many times.  I often DO know "someone," but unless I know a "someone" that is also a good fit for the person who's asking, then I don't really even consider it.  I'm not of the philosophy that "someone" is better than no one just because both people are single.  I know, I have standards.  (sigh)

 I have only participated in matchmaking one time.  It was in my first year away from college.  Why did I do it?

HE: Offbeat, hard to get to know by most people's standards, intelligent but not in the typical way, interested in science fiction, kinda goth, vacillates between being a loner and a player but at heart just wants to be with someone special, kinda passive

SHE: Offbeat, hard to get to know by most people's standards, intelligent in the typical way, interested in science fiction, impulsive, wants to be in a relationship, not passive

I had known each person for about six months before I set them up.  And I knew each person well.  That is one thing I am good at - I can figure out what makes a person tick quickly and accurately.  I maneuvered the whole set-up pretty well too.  I told him what I was up to; I didn't tell her what I was up to because I thought she'd flee.  It worked out quite well since they started dating within a week of me introducing them.  However, two weeks into it, things fizzled.  She flipped out over something and wouldn't talk about him ever again.  You know me, I can get anything out of anyone, and she would not crack.  He was fine with talking about it, but he didn't know what had happened at all.  No clue.  I relentlessly questioned him to no avail.  I stayed friends with both of them afterward although I couldn't ever talk about him with her. 

In the abridged version of this story, he and I stayed good friends.  The girl, on the other hand, fell off the face of this earth in 2000.  It turned out that she actually had met some guy on the Internet in 2000, and she went away to live with him in Florida.  In 2007, she contacted me through Myspace.  She regretted the guy in Florida, and all of these years she has thought about the guy she was with for 2 weeks in college.  Of course I was still in contact with him.  I reconnected them, she moved back to Seattle in July of 2007, and they've been together for the last 3+ years. 

On Sunday they told us they are engaged.

They want to elope in 2011.  They don't want to involve their families.  Not because they have any family issues, but rather they want to do their wedding their way, plus their finances aren't that great.  So my lovely husband and I will be their witnesses when they elope.  Gosh I love being in on secret plans.  Gosh I would have loved to have eloped myself instead of having a family-filled, drama-filled wedding.  Gosh I am an awesome matchmaker. 

Gosh gosh gosh gosh.

No comments: