Wednesday, December 29, 2010

The Kids Are All Right

Last night I got sucked into a really good book for the Dewey project: The Kids Are All Right (not to be confused by the 2010 movie of the same name...different plot entirely).  It was a memoir from 4 siblings who lost their father and then their mother within the span of three years.  The kids were of varying ages, from 4 years old to 16 years old, and the tragedies affected them in different ways.  The memoir rotates through the four siblings' perspectives.  Liz tends to write the most and is the best writer of the bunch although having the different tones makes it easier to read because you essentially know who is writing that passage just by the writing style. 

I love teen angst.  There's a whole lot of it in this book.  I also like people who find their own way and learn from their experiences.  After all, angst is just angst if you don't use it to better yourself.  Maybe it's better if I say I like directed angst that is overcome. 

All in all, I really liked this book.  Was it earth shaking?  No.  Did it wallow just a bit too much?  Yes.  Was it engaging and interesting?  Yes. 

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Thanks for the review. I think I'd like this one.