Thursday, December 16, 2010

No Christmas Letter

I wrote up a Christmas letter for our holiday cards.  I really did.  But when it came down to it, it just doesn't make sense to do.  Most people keep up with us through Facebook.  If you don't, you're missing out on some exciting stuff.  ;)

I don't understand the tone of Christmas letters.  What person is it written in? Third person omniscient, first person, rotating narrator... Then you've got the actual tone where you don't want to sound like you're bragging.  So I read each sentence and try to figure out the worst it could be construed from any angle.  I find self-deprecating works well.  I do self-deprecating first person as much as possible.  Then I sound suicidal.  So I try to put in some juice, and then I sound egotistical.  At that point, I ask myself why I'm doing this.  Oh yeah, to start World War III via my Christmas letter.  So not worth it, let's scrap the Christmas letter.

Christmas letter scrapped.  If you read my blog, you know in general what is up with me.  If you read my Facebook statuses, you probably have an okay idea as well.  I don't need to go into any more detail than that.

It might be nice to do a philosophical Christmas letter or a Christmas letter that focuses on retirement planning readiness (just for the shock value).  Alas, I will instead just not do any letter.  However, I do have a rockin' holiday card this year thanks to my expressive little girl!

No comments: