Monday, December 6, 2010

PITA project

I wish there was a way to make photo organizing easier.  It's a beast of a project.  I try to at least stay up-to-date by uploading photos to Facebook.  But...I'm a complete slacker when it comes to printing out photos.  I don't have a photo printer with ink, and frankly I lack the skills to do it at home.  Outsource, baby.  I only do the bulk upload to a photo site twice a year.  But then it's a pain in the ass to upload everything in high resolution; each of my pics is 5 megs.  Multiply by that times 200 pictures. 


It's a pain in the ass project.

Go through each month's folder - i.e., 2010_11 which is my shorthand for November 2010.
Write down the file name of each picture I want to upload.
Do any fixes I need - cropping, black and white, increase/decrease contrast.   Editing can take forever if you have a lot of pictures.
Reduce the size of all the pics I want to upload except if I want 8x10s or larger.
Upload.  Wait.
Go through the photo site and make sure you've checked "matte" and figure out how many you want of each print.

The whole process took me 4 hours tonight.  I was lazy and didn't do much editing either. 

(Sigh) At least it's done for another few months. 

No comments: