Friday, December 10, 2010

Diaries and Old School References

I think I have the highest blog hit : blog comment ratio.  I get about 1 comment a month, and in that time get thousands of hits, resulting in a thousands : 1 ratio.  I'm not complaining about the lack of comments; really, it's a free country and all that.  (I will also contend that I have an average readership education level at a master's degree level, which I don't really understand since I mostly blither about boy bands and Kurt Cobain...) By the comment measurement, it really does appear that I'm talking to myself.  I feel that I'm talking to myself most of the time too.  In reality I'm not alone here.  It's easy to forget that and get lulled into the comfort of being solo and really be myself.  For what it's worth, I don't feel I can be completely myself even in a handwritten journal because there was always a mother who would have read my journal when I was a teenager.  Now I'm to the age where I start wondering who would read it when I die.  Some secrets WILL die with me and my accomplices, if applicable.  So there are certain things that will never appear in written form. 

I'll never forget coming home to a ransacked room as a teenager.  My mom thought I was into drugs and took the liberty of going through everything I owned for evidence.   She ended up not being able to implicate me for drug use at the time, but of course she found evidence that implicated me in other things.  My policy after that was to not have any implicating evidence laying around; hence, I purge purge purge.

Today's confession: listening to NKOTB.  It may be 1989 again today.  I liked them as a kid, but I wasn't overboard on them.  No pictures of them hanging on the walls, no NKOTB bedding...or trapper keepers or buttons or really any merchandise other than the cassette tapes.  Jordan Knight wore too much lipstick and eyeliner for my taste.  Sure, it's cool that a guy is in touch with his feminine side, but I do draw the line somewhere, and that would be at makeup.  

"First time was a great time
Second time was a blast
Third time I fell in love
Now I hope it lasts."

Who was your favorite NKOTB'er?  No surprise for me, it was Jon.  He seemed to have it the most together.

 In a related tangent, have you seen how hot Mark Wahlberg (brother of a NKOTB'er) looks in the new boxing movie?  1991 + Calvin Klein + Marky Mark + new boxing movie = dang, he hasn't changed much in 20 years.  And who would have thunk he could have overcome early 90s white boy rap (unlike Vanilla Ice)?

And if I'm still not going old school enough for you, bonus points for remembering the reference "The Lakers beat the Supersonics."

5 comments:

Krista said...

I read everyday, so your not talking to yourself. I am just a bad commenter I hated NKOTB,I have never been into the boy bands. Your wide variety of music interest does amuse me.

B said...

It's good knowing you're here, don't feel like you have to comment. :)

Not into boy bands, where do your music interests lie? Do we have some overlap? I tend not to listen to country, but I do like some of most other genres.

Ann said...

I didn't even have to use my A-K. Today was a good day.

B said...

Yes, it was a good day.

Scrapping in Circles said...

I also loved Jon. It didn't bother me at all that I was ten and he was twenty. He seemed so shy and sweet. Now I know he was just petrified with stage fright.