Thursday, February 3, 2011

Organic Follow-up

I had a conversation with the meat guy at the local store.  He told me that the certified organic designation on meat is very difficult and tedious to get because everything that touches the animal has to also be certified organic.  He told me the name of a local meat company that has good practices, doesn't add anything (preservatives, hormones) to the meat, and is reasonably priced.  It's on sale this week at one store for $3/lb (boneless, skinless).  So bye bye, bagged chicken that heavens know what is in it.  It's going to be the local grown chicken as much as possible. 

As far as the organic dirty dozen is concerned, one of the local stores only sells organic produce, AND they have weekly specials where some of the produce is 99 cents per pound!!!  I think this is a great deal, that even beats the prices of some non-organic produce and this stuff is organic too. 

Today's shopping:
9 lbs boneless, skinless chicken from the local company
3 boxes of my favorite rice crackers
1 loaf of bread for hubby (otherwise known as "I'm not eating it")
2 lbs grapes
2.5 lbs apples
1.5 lbs oranges
1 lb tangelos
1 lb sweet potatoes

Total spent: $45

Not too bad. 

1 comment:

Marie Tere said...

I'm glad it worked out for you.