Monday, February 14, 2011

I don't like Valentine's Day

Dear Valentine's Day,

You're kind of a stupid holiday.  You seem to make everyone bitter.  If you're single, you're reminded that you have no one, which is an unpleasant reminder of what you don't have.  If you're with someone, you have these overhyped expectations about what the day should have in store.  High expectations tend to lead to disappointment.

It's probably good that chocolate is the staple of Valentine's Day because we can drown our disappointment in chocolate. 

I am not bitter.  I have had many, many Valentine's Days "with" someone.  I think I haven't had a Valentine's Day without anyone since I was 14.  However, I still think it's a stupid holiday, which is why my celebration of it extends to eating those little conversation hearts and helping Julia get together her valentines for her friends.

Stupid "holiday."

Sincerely,

me

P.S. However, I am a sucker for a cute valentine's day story.  If you do like someone and wonder if it is reciprocated, I am all for using the stupid "holiday" as a way to see if your intended is also interested.  A cut out heart with a message on it is sooooooo cute.

No comments: