Monday, February 28, 2011

Emotional Investment

It's easier to not care.  When I say "easier," I mean far less consternation / less cognitive dissonance / less risk of disappointment.  Emotional investment leads you down a path where emotions are rampant and cloud rational thinking, and there is a large amount of risk that you'll get sucked into something you can't easily get out of.   

That's not to say that a person shouldn't become emotionally invested in things.  But there are a vast number of things/people to get emotionally invested in, and you have to know what are the best opportunities to invest in.  After all, you don't want to invest in anything that comes your way.  On the other hand, you don't want to be so emotionally distant that you don't ever engage with anyone or anything.

As everything, it seems like there's a precarious balance.  I know that I tend to err on the side of not caring.  Apathy is a lot easier emotionally.  I like to guard my emotions carefully and not get sucked into anything for fear that I won't ever get out of it.  I have to wonder how many opportunities for greatness I have missed and whether I want to make a conscious decision to engage in things I would ordinarily pass up. 

No comments: