Monday, June 14, 2010

A blog from de phone

Hello from San Diego! I arrived in CA on Saturday and have had a really nice time. I stayed with my aunt and uncle for a day. I hadn't seen the house they had built a couple of years ago. It's really beautiful,
modeled after an Italian villa. Their church was having a spring carnival, and we spent most of Saturday there....from 3-9pm. That was a long time, especially when you don't know anyone and they kept introducing me to 60 year olds.

The next day I took 2 long walks. My aunt and uncle live in a very nice neighborhood, and there are lots of pretty houses to look at. We ate lunch and then my uncle drove me to see W and M. We had a fun time at the beach and had a gourmet meal. Got to the hotel, which has super tiny and non soundproof rooms. Every review had said it was nice bit the rooms were small. Yep I agree completely. But hey I'm saving $200 per night by staying here so it's all good.

Today was pretty good. I'm not here with anyone else from work, which is really nice. I don't feel tied down and can do what I want. I can more easily meet new people. The subject matter in the conference today was basic. Should have probably signed up for the advanced class instead. Hopefully tomorrow will be more challenging.

After the conference today, I walked back to the hotel, showered, changed, and went out. It's fun to walk the city by yourself. I went through the mall, walked through the gaslamp district, got a bite to eat, walked some more. I think I did 4 miles of actual walking. Then I hit the gym and worked out for an hour. Don't gasp too hard, I can work out. I like to work out even. I just don't like to work out in front of people. The hotel gym is sorely underadvertised. There's a picture on the website but no discussion of it. It's not listed in the hotel book or the elevator. So it's not surprising that no one was in the gym. It was peaceful being all alone.

Then I go back to my room. Since my neighbors were so noisy having intimate relations the previous night, I hadn't gotten much sleep. Fall asleep at 9ish. At 9:30 I got woken up by the room shaking. I thought it was the noisy neighbors again. Nope, turns out to be an earthquake!

So what does it take to get to sleep before midnight in this place?

The influx of relatives is now happening earlier. Ugh. 2am-ish on thur night/ fri morning. Since it's such a hideous time, we may be down to 8 people instead of 10. They had better be quiet when they get in because I've been very short on sleep (and patience).

My June has officiallly had too much excitement. And we're not quite 50% done yet. I'm ready for July, thank you very much.

3 comments:

villa lloret said...

villa lloret
This is just so beautiful, wish I could be there.... what serenity and good design!

Ann said...

They are arriving at 2am? All of them, or just the six flying in? Yikes! I am glad that you are getting to relax a little before all the crazyiness starts. Sorry about the earthquake though. Earthquakes never scared me until the one in 2001. That scared the shit out of me, and we haven't had one since, which is the longest we have gone without one, in my lifetime. It seems like Cali has been having a lot of them lately. So glad you are okay!

Melissa said...

OMG! Earthquake? I would be ready to come home at that moment.