Friday, June 10, 2011

Let me steal your fashion advice

This weekend I'm going shopping with the bride for accessories for her dress.  For some very, very strange reason, she's looking to me for fashion advice.  I live in jeans and hoodies.  I have only 4 pairs of shoes, which is an insanely low number for a girl.  I don't own a belt.  I own mascara from 1998.

Now, if a bride is asking me for bridal fashion advice, usually I can pull something out of a hat.  I do have an opinion on bridal fashion: classic.  Simple white/ivory dress, pearl necklace, diamond earrings, simple veil. 

This bride isn't going traditional.  It's a short green dress. I'm flummoxed.  She wants a shawl.  I'm in a tailspin over that.  Don't you have to match the color exactly (which will be nearly impossible), or don't you have to go white/cream?  My gut reaction is to nix the shawl.  We're going to be on a boat, and it's going to be windy.  The last thing you want to be doing is messing with a shawl all day while it's billowing.  I suppose you could pin it down somehow, but doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a flirty short dress?  Shawl ideas, anyone? 

She wants help on other accessories.  Ugh ugh, she's not a pearls or diamond girl.  I have no freaking clue what jewelry one would wear with the dress.  Gold necklace??? She wants shoe help.  At that point, I'm merely suggesting the ones the model is wearing in the picture. 

I have no freaking idea.  This is like if a girl asked me to do her makeup.  In that situation, I could bring out my tube of circa 1998 mascara and hope she runs for the hills.  In this situation, I have to give some sort of cogent advice.  Right?  It's my duty

So I'm coming to my blog readers, who have to have some ideas on this.  Please give me some ideas so that I can plagiarize your opinions in the form of fashion advice to her.  Here is her bridal dress. <-- Clicking on "Dress" should link to the picture.

If you ever need help on your 401(k) investment options, I'll happily repay the favor.  Let's bring back the barter system.

Thank you!!!!

6 comments:

Wendy said...

Shoes - http://beta.neimanmarcus.com/store/product.jsp?itemId=prod128280007&catId=cat29650784&navId=BoutiqueFeatured

Jewelry - Perhaps some jade? It's non-traditional and you can find some really cool stuff if you go to Chinatown.

Shawl - Skip it.

B said...

Pretty shoes, but $900???? And you say you're not into fashion...HA! At least you're going to have enough money to buy insanely priced shoes.

Thanks for concurring on the shawl. It just seems kind of weird.

Jade jewelry - you know, I think that could work really well!

Wendy said...

Christian Louboutin shoes always make me drool.

I'm telling you, you'll probably be able to find a Chinese jewelry store in Chinatown that will have some cool pieces. I have seen chartreuse jade necklaces before and they were so uniquely amazing.

B said...

Thanks, Wendy! I will give her that suggestion. I'm off to shop til I drop, which will probably be about 15 minutes.

Wendy said...

So? Did you survive?

B said...

Will post soon. Have been going from 10am - just now (1am). Today's entry had been set a few days ago. Lonnnng day, but productive.