Tuesday, June 21, 2011

I have a little secret

I hoard laundry soap.

Aaaaaah, that felt good to get that off my chest.

It all started 2 months ago.  I heard through a coupon blog that a great sale on laundry detergent was coming up at a local store (Rite Aid).  Combined with coupons, it would be truly awesome.  I was almost out of store bought laundry detergent and was experimenting with making homemade detergent. So what did I do?  I bought a vast supply of coupons for said item off eBay.  Well, I know that's illegal, per se, but the eBay ad said they were only charging for their time to clip the coupons, not the coupons themselves.  So of course that makes it 100% legal and don't report me to the authorities...please.  I'm sure they'd rather bust a meth lab instead of me, the laundry detergent hoarder, anyway.

Back to my hoarding saga.  I got a little bit bid happy on eBay.  I may or may not have ended up with a LOT of coupons for laundry detergent.  And because I had bought the coupon clipping service (not the coupons since that is illegal) and it was already a sunk cost, I felt like the more laundry detergent the merrier since it was so inexpensive with coupons, right?  It's not like it's bread or milk and will expire.  Laundry detergent doesn't expire, to my knowledge.

Right before the bidding escapade, I had experimented making homemade laundry detergent.  A vat of it.  2 gallons or so.  I had a pitiful amount of "real" detergent, my homemade concoction that I wasn't sure how it was going to work, and a ton of laundry detergent coupons.

With the coupons, I bought enough laundry detergent for 1,200 loads of clothes.  We do 5-6 loads per week, so ... that's enough detergent to get me through to the summer of 2015 (approximately) since I don't think it expires.  Am I an official hoarder now?

I swear that's the only thing I hoard around the house right now.

S's parents sent Julia a little birthday gift.  Inside the box there were also about 6-7 tubes of toothpaste.  I was like, "Toothpaste????"

S said one of their neighbors died, and they were cleaning out his house and found about 200 tubes of toothpaste.  Apparently he was an extreme couponer/hoarder.  So they've been giving away the dead guy's toothpaste to everyone.  If I died tomorrow, I wonder if S would be giving away the laundry detergent and exposing my dirty (or clean) little secret to the world at large or if he would just be happy that he didn't have to buy laundry detergent until 2016 (taking into account that if I died there wouldn't be as much laundry so the detergent would last longer...unless he replaces me with some hussy after only a month....grrrrrr....now I want to wake him up and yell at him for replacing me with a hussy so soon). 

No comments: