Saturday, April 9, 2011

A loud start to the morning

Today I stopped by the grocery store on the way to work.  It ended up that I didn't even find what I was looking for, but that's not the point of the story.

Anyway, I got out of my car, still in that early morning brain fog.  I don't drink coffee like the other 95% of Seattle, so I'm a bit sluggish in the morning.  I can hear yelling.  At first, I thought it was an excited/happy yelling.  Then it got more accusatory, and I thought perhaps I stumbled upon something more interesting than usual. 

It was a woman in a small SUV screaming at a guy who was smoking at one of those Starbucks-like tables in front of Safeway.  "Why aren't you at work?  You're going to get fired, and we're going to be homeless.  Is that what you want?  Do you want us to be homeless because you can't go to $%^#^% work." 

The guy just sat there while she screamed. 

As I walked by the car to get into the store, I looked in the car.  In the backseat, there were two little babies.  Talk about heartbreaking. 

I go into the store, can't find what I need, head back out.  Now the guy is standing front of the other entrance smoking.  The SUV is about 50 feet away and slowly approaching.  I walk to my car.  The SUV stops in front of him.  He gets in. 

I wonder if she ended up driving him to work, or if she just screamed at him the whole way home. 

I wonder why he doesn't want to go to work.

I wonder why they chose each other.

I wonder why they fight so horribly in front of the children.

I wonder why they chose to have children.

I wonder why he's given up. 

No comments: